Unsung Forum »
Joy Division and the uncanny in music

67 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tyroneshoelaces
38 posts

Re: Joy Division and the uncanny in music
Mar 03, 2015, 23:43
It was a fantastic documentary, and I found myself comparing it with the Kraftwerk one that is also mentioned on this site and which was a complete wasted opportunity. This one had excellent footage, talking heads that were worth listening to, appreciation of the man and the music without ever being over-reverential. Top top quality. I went back to both albums after quite a long break from listening to either of them and was surprised to find my opinion hadn't changed much - both are excellent, but flawed: the first side of Unknown Pleasures is far better than the second; the second side of Closer better than the first. But really it's those last four tracks on Closer that stand out both lyrically and musically - in some ways, knowing he killed himself, it's hard to listen to, but very rewarding and, like you say, uncanny. It's one of my great regrets that I wasn't really into them straight off and never saw them live, though I could have done. I also remember that as a pretentious teenager I watched the film Ian Curtis watched that very night, which made me feel a bit odd when I read about it, though of course it's simply a coincidence. Anyway, great programme.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index