Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Andfurthermoreagain
Andfurthermoreagain
696 posts

Edited Feb 12, 2014, 08:41
Re: Penultimate Drdion?
Feb 12, 2014, 08:40
Sowiesoso wrote:
I will miss the drudion but its termination, along with the dismantling, to me is just a classic case of pop star re-invention (a la Bowie) and Cope is canny enough to know its overdue. Alas his current black sheep guise more closely resembles the Tin Machine phase than the Thin White Duke. Besides JC can always fall back on his book writing which in recent times has been more consistent than his music & maybe , like bowie, abit of abstinence on the recorded output might do the trick for regaining his musical mojo

I think this is a really good point (ie re-invention), particularly if you bear one of Cope's comments from the 2000 QA in mind;

"Every few years, I have to serve a new apprenticeship in order to rebirth myself."

And also the note on the cover of Revolutionary Suicide re 'Peggy's new prescription'.

It's clear he's entering a new artistic phase and the house move is either one of many catalysts or symbolic gestures to suggest this to be the case.
There's a distictly different vibe within the work of Cope in each decade and he often marks the turning of a new decade with a new direction and artistic approach.
The dark, rock informed work and Black Sheep heathen folk of the last decade is as different to the flourescent new-age psychedelia of the ninetees as that was to his 80s career.
I suppose we're 4 years into this decade now but it's clear that he's been caught up with huge creative commitments (131 being the most significant) for the last few years, so perhaps the seismic sea-change has been delayed somewhat and we're about to witness (albeit delayed) another embodiment of JC for the 2010s.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index