Julian cancels Belfast show - extremely disappointing reason given

Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 10 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
keith a
9573 posts

Re: Julian cancels Belfast show - extremely disappointing reason given
Dec 27, 2013, 16:29
IanB wrote:

We've come a long way from early Dylan, from Altamont and from John & Yoko starting a revolution from their hotel bed. We all know now that songwriters are solipsists and narcissists. They can't lead a revolt they can only stand on the sidelines and be very very subjective about it.

They can make people think though so that should be applauded. Though I'm not necessarily referring to anything discussed here!
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Dec 27, 2013, 17:26
keith a wrote:
IanB wrote:

We've come a long way from early Dylan, from Altamont and from John & Yoko starting a revolution from their hotel bed. We all know now that songwriters are solipsists and narcissists. They can't lead a revolt they can only stand on the sidelines and be very very subjective about it.

They can make people think though so that should be applauded. Though I'm not necessarily referring to anything discussed here!

Totally. I owe the artists I was listening to from the age of 12 to 17ish a huge debt of gratitude. Especially the ones that went out of their way to connect their music to the literature and films that they had ripped off (rather than pretending all their ideas were original). They also made me think when I needed someone other than a parent or teacher to prompt me. I couldn't begin to list all the things I learned about for the first time through rock n roll artists though I am not sure they are really providing that kind of service any more!
dazzagallagher
4 posts

Dec 27, 2013, 19:33
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/northern-ireland/julian-copes-decision-to-cancel-belfast-gig-over-security-concerns-an-utter-disgrace-29867122.html Agreed
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Dec 27, 2013, 20:30
Can't help thinking this is turning into a bit of a witch hunt. As been stated above - it's only a gig....

8)
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Dec 27, 2013, 20:38
dave clarkson wrote:
Can't help thinking this is turning into a bit of a witch hunt. As been stated above - it's only a gig....

8)

Despite what I might have said earlier (just being diplomatic), I do agree. Plus I should point out, as this seems to be veering off into a "Cope has been on low ebb since the early '90s" direction, lyrics or no, Psychedelic Revolution is my fave release by the man in yonks.

That announcement doesn't even read like Cope. Not one single motherfucker throughout.
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Dec 27, 2013, 20:41
I've bandied about the idea in my head for awhile now of making a psyche-folk album with just lyrics of me singing from 1-to-10 over pretty melodies.
Captain Starlet
Captain Starlet
1110 posts

Dec 27, 2013, 20:43
Yeah it is only a gig, but that excuse goes both ways, could easily say to Cope, it's just one gig and straight home, no problem. It's not like the troubles are like they were decades ago and does seem a bit of a cop out, especially at such short notice.
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Edited Dec 27, 2013, 22:10
Dec 27, 2013, 20:49
....yes disappointing to fans - point taken.

..think Stuart Bailie is over reacting a bit in that article though....
"Julian Cope has presented himself to the world as this fearless, intrepid and bold human being,"
Is that not stretching things a tad?

8)
billding68
billding68
1016 posts

Dec 27, 2013, 21:28
Sin Agog wrote:
dave clarkson wrote:

8)

Despite what I might have said earlier (just being diplomatic), I do agree. Plus I should point out, as this seems to be veering off into a "Cope has been on low ebb since the early '90s" direction, lyrics or no, Psychedelic Revolution is my fave release by the man in yonks.

That announcement doesn't even read like Cope. Not one single motherfucker throughout.

Just got back to the mountains from the city and I can't believe this thread is still going! Witch hunt indeed! Let's get a grip folks seems people are turning on Julian big time for one cancelled show. Sorry but I've stuck in there despite a slew of mediocre albums and I think that was bigger insult IMHO.
Mrs Ahab
Mrs Ahab
1138 posts

Dec 28, 2013, 20:32
i think you probably hit the nail on the head!
Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 10 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index