Re: Julian cancels Belfast show - extremely disappointing reason given
Dec 26, 2013, 16:14
Exactly! ;) x
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Edited Dec 29, 2013, 18:21
Dec 26, 2013, 16:31
I'll pretty sure he claimed in an interview that he's only been on the HH forum once. I take your point about the agoraphobia though - maybe that's down to living in Yatesbury for 18 years.
Kid Calamity
9044 posts

Dec 26, 2013, 16:51
True.

Once you're out in the sticks, and have your head down on stuff for a few months, a visit to the hustle and bustle can be quite alarming. Trust me, I know.
spencer
spencer
3070 posts

Dec 26, 2013, 17:00
Wassaty'say?
Captain Starlet
Captain Starlet
1110 posts

Dec 26, 2013, 17:35
If that were the case wouldn't it be best to say he's got other commitments than rather try and use security concerns as an excuse. If something's happening then most people are understanding, but this has insulted a few people by the looks of things on fb and twitter.
spencer
spencer
3070 posts

Dec 26, 2013, 17:45
'Tis sad. The promoters lost out on a probable full house, if there was only thirty tickets left.
Astralcat
Astralcat
742 posts

Dec 27, 2013, 09:07
Kid Calamity wrote:
A little bit of self agrandisement, too.

That business about the stab-vest when visiting London... I just don't relate to. Nobody wants to be stabbed. I'd wear one, too - were there a real risk of being stabbed. Actually, if there were, I'd avoid going there, personally.

Is this really Julian Cope - man of the people? Perhaps he's been away from folk, a bit too much. Become a bit agoraphobic?

Anyway... I'm afraid, as much as I'd love to disagree with you, that 'free thinking revolutionary' stuff is indeed just hollow posturing to sell some records.

Good records, though.

Maybe, rather than continuing this aloof reading the forums and not contributing bollocks, it's about time he dipped in and shared a few opinions and communicated with the people who like him. We all know he does, after all.

Yes - the stab vest business was a bit preposterous. What's that about a burka as well ? Anyway, I haven't been to London since '96, and have spent the last ten years in the sticks. Crowds/cities make me uncomfortable and I try and avoid them. As for the revolutionary posing, I do find it slightly embarrassing and hollow, especially considering the sinister reality of the times we live in.
He's still capable of great music, but as for real action and sticking it to the man, I raise my hat to Pussy Riot.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Dec 27, 2013, 10:55
Dec 27, 2013, 09:47
Astralcat wrote:
He's still capable of great music, but as for real action and sticking it to the man, I raise my hat to Pussy Riot.

In terms of rallying an audience Cope was on a loser as soon as he dropped the Keats in Leather Trouser thing. There is no audience for this music except among those of us fascinated by Cope's biography and his personal project. To anyone with 20 Cope records it might be an interesting detour on his way to something else. As a rallying point it fails spectacularly.

There was a reason that Lenin both loved and hated music. Music as most of us know and love it most often speaks to the inexpressible not the literal. It's not about the group it's about where you stand in relation to everyone and everything else. Especially as teenagers when we fall in love with it for the first time. It's a balm. It's consolation. It's also a consumer product and it's cultural capital.

Strikes me that this why the music you hear played around protests these days is largely instrumental, unmediated, impersonal, interchangeable and, on the face of it, authorless. Anything else would be besides the point these days so Cope was going to fail to connect regardless of how good the records might have been. We've come a long way from early Dylan, from Altamont and from John & Yoko starting a revolution from their hotel bed. We all know now that songwriters are solipsists and narcissists. They can't lead a revolt they can only stand on the sidelines and be very very subjective about it.
Astralcat
Astralcat
742 posts

Edited Dec 27, 2013, 09:59
Dec 27, 2013, 09:58
IanB wrote:

Music as most of us know and love it most often speaks to the inexpressible not the literal and it's about where you stand in relation to everyone and everything else.

Some very interesting thoughts there Ian, and as for your comments above, they in particular still have resonance to me today, perhaps even more so as I feel less and less a part of the whole, and more on my own inner unravelling journey. I'm fully aware that that may seem gauche and perhaps even adolescent to some, and it's hard to express accurately, but that is genuinely how I feel. It's like a reverse journey the older I get, and my ongoing musical discoveries seem in sympathy with that.
Sowiesoso
122 posts

Dec 27, 2013, 13:31
dave clarkson wrote:
"Revolutionary my ass"

bit disappointing for the fans (maybe there were other valid reasons) but do you really take all that revolutionary thing seriously? Surely there's a tongue in cheek element going on - you not think Citizen Smith was more convincing?

Point well made..these days I read the druidion like pseuds corner and quickly move on to the review section.
Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index