Julian cancels Belfast show - extremely disappointing reason given

Pages: 10 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
sweetfeed
sweetfeed
105 posts

Julian cancels Belfast show - extremely disappointing reason given
Dec 23, 2013, 16:02
Julian has cancelled his January 'Out to Lunch Festival' Belfast show. The reason in the cancellation email I've just received was:

'It is with regret that I feel obliged to cancel my forthcoming Belfast show of January 16th due to the current security situation there and the logistics involved.
I'm very sorry about this.'
JULIAN

I have to say I'm hugely disappointed that Julian has made this decision. We don't let fuckwits who plant bombs or set themselves on fire by mistake (honestly, these people are idiots) stop us from going about our daily lives (that includes going to gigs). The bomb that went off a couple of weekends ago happened a few hundred yards from where I was having a pint. We heard that no-one was hurt, we kept on drinking. That's what we do. LIFE GOES ON. It has to or these fuckers win.

It doesn't help when the Guardian publishes headlines like 'Bomb explosion in Belfast as Christmas revellers evacuated from city centre' (that's the actual headline - what are you picturing in your head?) when the truth was that a couple of streets in the small Cathedral Quarter area were evacuated after the device partially exploded. The device that was described as being as loud as a firecracker. Yes, someone could have got hurt but thankfully no-one did. Look at this guy out for his work do eating his dinner on the street: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXT4r2zsk9U. How scared does he look? Julian is more scared than this guy.

I have lost some respect for the great man as a result of his (it appears) ill-informed decision. He should have said it clashed with his book launch. Revolutionary my ass.
slothbob
3 posts

Re: Julian cancels Belfast show - extremely disappointing reason given
Dec 23, 2013, 19:24
Can't really add to what you said
I rememberer seeing him in the Belfast castle in 1993 and then in the Empire a few years later and then in a tent- so it's not as though this is all new to him. He was great, relaxed and confident... even though we had Drumcree and all of the disturbances on the streets
Oh well. I suppose it's just a little disappointing because of him constantly stating how he is a revolutionary.
Daniel O'Donnell isn't cancelling. Oh the shame
sweetfeed
sweetfeed
105 posts

Dec 23, 2013, 20:08
I was at those gigs too. If he was shitting himself then he did a good job of hiding it.

I hope he regrets his decision and realises that it's idiotic and insulting. The backlash I've already seen on Twitter/Facebook isn't pretty - some long-term fans/defenders have lost all respect for him. He maybe didn't bank on the Out to Lunch folks including his email word for word in their cancellation email. Fair play to them for doing so. Sadly he comes across as another English person* who hasn't a clue about the situation in Northern Ireland.

*some English people get it
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Dec 23, 2013, 20:11
This does make all the gun-toting skeletal, white Huey Newtonisms seem especially poseury.
mingtp
mingtp
2270 posts

Dec 23, 2013, 20:57
Sin Agog wrote:
This does make all the gun-toting skeletal, white Huey Newtonisms seem especially poseury.

That might just be my favourite sentence I've ever read :)
spencer
spencer
3065 posts

Dec 23, 2013, 21:36
Shot~~~~~Foot
tk421
121 posts

Dec 23, 2013, 22:09
Damn!

I was at the Castle and at the Empire and the Tent. All brilliant but this is so disappointing.

I don't want to judge as growing up here through the 80s and 90s you got used to bomb scares and ignored them (stupidly probably). He simply hasn't had to live with this mostly numbing experience where you try to get on with things.

Although, weighed up against this, as has been said elsewhere, he does set himself up somewhat with all the revolutionary stuff.
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Edited Dec 23, 2013, 23:30
Dec 23, 2013, 23:20
"Revolutionary my ass"

bit disappointing for the fans (maybe there were other valid reasons) but do you really take all that revolutionary thing seriously? Surely there's a tongue in cheek element going on - you not think Citizen Smith was more convincing?

...sorry to hear gig was cancelled but bet there's some good local bands who could play?

Seasons greetings x
billding68
billding68
1016 posts

Dec 24, 2013, 00:51
Sin Agog wrote:

Give the guy a break! Why would you willingly go into a situation where you feel you AND your crew may be in danger ( no matter how small or real) this isn't just about Julian but also his band or crew roadies etc.... I know how situations can be blown out of proportion but you can't fault the guy for being safe rather than sorry.
crumbford
2 posts

Dec 24, 2013, 01:40
Oh Julian we are disappointed at your entirely flaccid excuse for a no-show. We were really looking forward to seeing you again in Belfast, you were great in the Empire 10 years ago and pretty good in the tent while the orange bands played bass in the background... I'll never forget you running all over the empire music hall giving us an education into the shaman as performer - at one point you appeared behind the singer out of Ash, gabbling about the front man's responsibility to transport the audience, whilst the young starlet looked at you askew, aghast. Magic. If you can't make it, please be honest and give us more credit than this weak, crap, bullshit nonsense about security concerns... seriously, this means nothing to your safety, in fact you are more likely to miss your flight or have a wardrobe malfunction and tear some leather than any of this silly half-arsed pseudo revolutionary bollocks affecting your gig/safety. I wonder if you are worried that you left NI out of both Modern Antiquarian and Megalithic European and we were gonna pull you up on it. C'mon man, we need a dose of Copey, please don't let us down!
Pages: 10 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index