Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
Soft Machine - VOLUME TWO (UK Probe promo poster)

Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
lademell
68 posts

Re: Soft Machine - VOLUME TWO (UK Probe promo poster)
Oct 19, 2013, 16:32
Deepinder Cheema wrote:
Ratledge would not know. Wyatt less certain. Hopper was the only one. You also forget that posters were ephemeral and any that survive are a small percentage of what existed. I disagree with your thesis about marginal issues and so on, but I will come back to you on that as I know Nigel in Wales who has made a study of UK Freaky poster scene. He showed me the contents under his bed - several packets of Osiris Posters and Big O posters about 150 per packet which he paid £3000 in 1979. He has traded them for all the choice items like Dantalions Chariot.

Excellent - would love it if you were able to find any details at all...was the Dantalian's an Osiris gig poster? They were great. But please don't think that my calling the '69-era Softs 'marginal' is disparaging. Indeed, they are one of my all-time favorite bands...and the first three records absolute favorites (even had Wyatt sign my copy of "Love Makes Sweet Music"). Such a gentleman.

And totally...the face that so many of these items were - as you say - seen as ephemeral and don't circulate like records is one of the reasons I started collecting them at 13 (the US MEDDLE promo poster was the first one I ever got)...
Deepinder Cheema
Deepinder Cheema
1972 posts

Oct 19, 2013, 16:37
I think the Dantalions Chariot was Osiris and could be bought from Goodge St. It was Martin Sharp endeavour and is beautifully reprographed in 'Get on Down!' By Mick Farren. It has the Hendrix Martin Sharp poster from OZ 15 on the cover. Nige had several packets of that poster too. I used to sell them for him for £8.
lademell
68 posts

Oct 19, 2013, 16:51
Deepinder Cheema wrote:
I think the Dantalions Chariot was Osiris and could be bought from Goodge St. It was Martin Sharp endeavour and is beautifully reprographed in 'Get on Down!' By Mick Farren. It has the Hendrix Martin Sharp poster from OZ 15 on the cover. Nige had several packets of that poster too. I used to sell them for him for £8.

Wow...cool! I believe the Tomorrow poster from this era even had the EMI catalog info for "My White Bicycle"...
Deepinder Cheema
Deepinder Cheema
1972 posts

Edited Oct 19, 2013, 16:56
Oct 19, 2013, 16:56
Yes it has. I have a few copies of that poster. I don't think it was EMI official it was artwork by Hapshash and The Coloured Coat in which they included the Parlophone cat no, I'd think the band commissioned it as they were art lovers themselves. Ask Mohammed Abdullah John Twink Alder, he would know the answer to this interesting question. He's on facebook.
lademell
68 posts

Oct 19, 2013, 17:25
Deepinder Cheema wrote:
Yes it has. I have a few copies of that poster. I don't think it was EMI official it was artwork by Hapshash and The Coloured Coat in which they included the Parlophone cat no, I'd think the band commissioned it as they were art lovers themselves. Ask Mohammed Abdullah John Twink Alder, he would know the answer to this interesting question. He's on facebook.

Hahaha...nice! I always wondered if there were any EMI shop materials for S.F. SORROW. Suspect not, though the Regal/Zonophone imprint did do a nice shop poster for TR's MY PEOPLE WERE FAIR...

Another dream would be a Kevin Ayers promo poster for JOY OF A TOY or WHATEVERSHEBRINGSWESING. Don't believe they were printed, as they weren't doing much other than trade ads at that time (have never seen UK Floyd shop materials from '68 or '69)...I've seen a couple UK Harvests for BANANAMOUR and a couple UK Islands for SWEET DECEIVER, but I'm less fond of those albums - most especially the latter...
Deepinder Cheema
Deepinder Cheema
1972 posts

Oct 19, 2013, 18:12
As previously stated EMI made a B&W poster for Ummagumma and a general one when Harvest was launched with a collage of images from the first batch of LP's. There is a B&W poster for Parachute and also for Formally Fat Harry. I'm sure that Joy of a Toy marketing budget consisted of an ad in Zigzag written by Peter Jenner, he later moaned that EMI did not back the LP well - considering they spent £5000 on it. I have a Panama Limited poster but that's from their agency. The Human Beast had shop promo's made by Decca
lademell
68 posts

Oct 19, 2013, 18:57
Deepinder Cheema wrote:
As previously stated EMI made a B&W poster for Ummagumma and a general one when Harvest was launched with a collage of images from the first batch of LP's. There is a B&W poster for Parachute and also for Formally Fat Harry. I'm sure that Joy of a Toy marketing budget consisted of an ad in Zigzag written by Peter Jenner, he later moaned that EMI did not back the LP well - considering they spent £5000 on it. I have a Panama Limited poster but that's from their agency. The Human Beast had shop promo's made by Decca

I have the US Harvest UMMAGUMMA promo poster, which is a full-color lithographed collage type thing...quite stunning. Didn't know there was a UK b&w one (would love to see an image, if you have it)...though I have seen a not-very-impressive b&w UK ATOM HEART MOTHER poster. Have seen the Zigzag Peter Jenner trade ad. Have never seen any UK Harvest shop materials for Syd Barrett, other than the '74 reissue twofer. Also not sure about Roy Harper's STORMCOCK, which I'd love to have (have only seen VALENTINE and later shop posters).

I've also seen, I believe, a full-color UK Harvest promo poster for either the second or third Broughton album - either '70 or '71. Never any Shirley Collins though.
Charlie2300
Charlie2300
412 posts

Oct 20, 2013, 00:17
lademell wrote:
Deepinder Cheema wrote:
I can't access your images at the moment, but I can confirm that a 1970 King Crimson poster for 'Cat Food' single does exist as Island were pushing hoping that it would be a big hit.

Indeed it does...I saw one years ago on eBay, and it only went for about US $50 - $70, as I recall, but it's flyer size, and essentially, the same as the "Cat Food" picture sleeve...with the retail information below.

Here is a picture of an HMV London shop window from Summer '69...in the lower middle, there appears to be a shop poster for ITCOTCK (the band shot):

http://i44.tinypic.com/6iwwts.jpg

I have Island posters for Roxt's FOR YOUR PLEASURE, all four 'vocal''rock' Eno records...and Roxy's SIREN (UK)...

A promo poster for "In The Court Of The Crimson King" would be the dog's bollocks. I'd consider sascrificing a limb for that poster in the HMV shop.
lademell
68 posts

Oct 20, 2013, 01:36
Charlie2300 wrote:
lademell wrote:
Deepinder Cheema wrote:
I can't access your images at the moment, but I can confirm that a 1970 King Crimson poster for 'Cat Food' single does exist as Island were pushing hoping that it would be a big hit.

Indeed it does...I saw one years ago on eBay, and it only went for about US $50 - $70, as I recall, but it's flyer size, and essentially, the same as the "Cat Food" picture sleeve...with the retail information below.

Here is a picture of an HMV London shop window from Summer '69...in the lower middle, there appears to be a shop poster for ITCOTCK (the band shot):

I have Island posters for Roxt's FOR YOUR PLEASURE, all four 'vocal''rock' Eno records...and Roxy's SIREN (UK)...

A promo poster for "In The Court Of The Crimson King" would be the dog's bollocks. I'd consider sascrificing a limb for that poster in the HMV shop.

It would be truly amazing. Have never seen one other than in that contemporaneous photo. Have seen an Island shop poster from around the same time for the first Renaissance album (cool but not iconic or very collectable...but they were a nifty band)...
Charlie2300
Charlie2300
412 posts

Oct 20, 2013, 01:43
lademell wrote:
Charlie2300 wrote:
lademell wrote:
Deepinder Cheema wrote:

It would be truly amazing. Have never seen one other than in that contemporaneous photo. Have seen an Island shop poster from around the same time for the first Renaissance album (cool but not iconic or very collectable...but they were a nifty band)...

For me, that album is a stone classic. Brilliant. Unique. Dark. That man Fripp is talented...and Greg Lake did by far his best work on the first two Crimson albums. He had a voice.
Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index