Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
Soft Machine - VOLUME TWO (UK Probe promo poster)

Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Deepinder Cheema
Deepinder Cheema
1972 posts

Re: Soft Machine - VOLUME TWO (UK Probe promo poster)
Oct 18, 2013, 19:14
Monganaut wrote:
Wow, that's almost a scarey as that Comus album cover.

http://www.psychedelicfolk.com/files/Comus.jpg

Mine is more scary as it has more arse
lademell
68 posts

Oct 18, 2013, 19:47
Monganaut wrote:
Wow, that's almost a scarey as that Comus album cover.

http://www.psychedelicfolk.com/files/Comus.jpg

I love that Comus record. It's funny about the Scott Walker illustration...I posted it on one of the Scott FB pages, and all the original '60s fans - who were probably teenaged girls in the mid-to-late 1960s were horrified..."that's the ugliest thing I've ever seen!" I'm sure Engel would be grinning if he knew...hahaha
Monganaut
Monganaut
2382 posts

Oct 19, 2013, 00:02
"Mine is more scary as it has more arse"

Ha ha, that's just creased me up!.

Next time I watch Dracula, I'll see if there's a 'more arse' version, see if it scares me a bit more.
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Edited Oct 19, 2013, 10:16
Oct 19, 2013, 10:11
Can't you scan it somehow and take the file down to a tshirt printer?
Not sure on the legality of things like that but would assume they'd run you off copies.
I used to sell posters that were printed from scans of small printed material and they came out ok, irish history for the main part. Wasn't getting them done myself so not sure what the story is on copyright and printing or t-shirt printing. If any place you took them into would do it without question.

Stevo
lademell
68 posts

Oct 19, 2013, 13:06
Stevo wrote:
Not sure on the legality of things like that but would assume they'd run you off copies.
I used to sell posters that were printed from scans of small printed material and they came out ok, irish history for the main part. Wasn't getting them done myself so not sure what the story is on copyright and printing or t-shirt printing. If any place you took them into would do it without question.

Stevo

Oh, I'm sure it would work. I just don't have the cash right now.

That Scott Walker image would look great on a T shirt...plus it authentic and unknown. Much better than any of the other bootleg Scott shirt on eBay...
Deepinder Cheema
Deepinder Cheema
1972 posts

Oct 19, 2013, 14:24
Stevo wrote:

Stevo

The story on copyright is interesting. We don't know. The provenance is unknown. Larry is convinced that Soft Machine were too marginal a band to warrant anyone other than the band themselves or their management could have sanctioned the silkscreen. I don't think Soft Machine were marginal a band at all. They played lots of gigs on the UK and European circuit to large and small audiences, they also played a lot with Pink Floyd with whom they were friendly, in fact Soft machine are all over the Syd Barrett sessions at EMI. They sold lots of copies of Soft Machine 3 as I used to see it second hand all the time in the late 70's and early 80's. They also played many BBC Top Gear sessions as John Peel were friends with them. So they reached their target audience with 100% efficiency.
lademell
68 posts

Oct 19, 2013, 15:32
Deepinder Cheema wrote:
Stevo wrote:

Stevo

The story on copyright is interesting. We don't know. The provenance is unknown. Larry is convinced that Soft Machine were too marginal a band to warrant anyone other than the band themselves or their management could have sanctioned the silkscreen. I don't think Soft Machine were marginal a band at all. They played lots of gigs on the UK and European circuit to large and small audiences, they also played a lot with Pink Floyd with whom they were friendly, in fact Soft machine are all over the Syd Barrett sessions at EMI. They sold lots of copies of Soft Machine 3 as I used to see it second hand all the time in the late 70's and early 80's. They also played many BBC Top Gear sessions as John Peel were friends with them. So they reached their target audience with 100% efficiency.

Soft Machine - THIRD was their biggest seller and a top 20 UK lp. VOLUME TWO did not chart. I am very convinced that this was official in a band or label capacity, and there could well have been legal ine in one of its corners.

I've never seen any band of this level have fan-oriented head shop memorabilia printed - even Floyd did not until the mid '70s. Even the famous Fairport (Judy and Iain era) poster, though not through Polydor proper was an Osiris-designed item for the band, through Joe Boyd's connection with those designers...

And labels did occasionally do silk screen - a related collectable:

http://www.popsike.com/Caravan-1971-UK-Deram-Records-Promo-Poster/330203997524.html
Deepinder Cheema
Deepinder Cheema
1972 posts

Oct 19, 2013, 15:47
Speculation. If you look at the back of IT there were one or 2 poster companies like Splash posters a guy called Pete Townsend selling silksceen posters for the freak market, somebody with access to silk screen could well be splashing out on this poster in the light of the 3rd LP, also Arts Labs were emerging and they regularly made silk screen posters for gigs, just like at Aston University, Birmingham Teacher Training College, and Mothers Club in Erdington who made posters just of bands just to sell as well as gig posters. Also there is nothing to stop a Soft Machine fan to make this poster whilst on an Arts Course. Unless you have evidence that it was linked to the band and management then a missing corner of your poster is not proof that there could have been some credit line writ upon. Now I do know Daevid Allen designed a Soft Machine poster in 1966 for a gig in Deptford. I have a picture somewhere. I know it is him, because it could not be anyone else.
lademell
68 posts

Oct 19, 2013, 16:02
Deepinder Cheema wrote:
Speculation. If you look at the back of IT there were one or 2 poster companies like Splash posters a guy called Pete Townsend selling silksceen posters for the freak market, somebody with access to silk screen could well be splashing out on this poster in the light of the 3rd LP, also Arts Labs were emerging and they regularly made silk screen posters for gigs, just like at Aston University, Birmingham Teacher Training College, and Mothers Club in Erdington who made posters just of bands just to sell as well as gig posters. Also there is nothing to stop a Soft Machine fan to make this poster whilst on an Arts Course. Unless you have evidence that it was linked to the band and management then a missing corner of your poster is not proof that there could have been some credit line writ upon. Now I do know Daevid Allen designed a Soft Machine poster in 1966 for a gig in Deptford. I have a picture somewhere. I know it is him, because it could not be anyone else.

Usually gig posters have *gig* information. You are correct that's it's speculative on my part...absolutely. And you also could well be correct that one of these poster companies made the poster.

We'll likely never know unless another one comes into the collector circles. Moreover, I've never seen non-gig, non-promo materials of this sort for any other band in this tier at this time...say, a Family or a Nice (both of which were more successful than the Softs) or the like.

Either way, it's a very crisp design and image. And, with the proper white matte around the edges, should look quite lovely - and consistent with the decor I have. Unless someone could ask Robert Wyatt or Mike Ratledge, I suppose we'll never know...it's pretty neat though.
Deepinder Cheema
Deepinder Cheema
1972 posts

Oct 19, 2013, 16:18
Ratledge would not know. Wyatt less certain. Hopper was the only one. You also forget that posters were ephemeral and any that survive are a small percentage of what existed. I disagree with your thesis about marginal issues and so on, but I will come back to you on that as I know Nigel in Wales who has made a study of UK Freaky poster scene. He showed me the contents under his bed - several packets of Osiris Posters and Big O posters about 150 per packet which he paid £3000 in 1979. He has traded them for all the choice items like Dantalions Chariot.
Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index