Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
Soft Machine - VOLUME TWO (UK Probe promo poster)

Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Deepinder Cheema
Deepinder Cheema
1972 posts

Re: Soft Machine - VOLUME TWO (UK Probe promo poster)
Oct 18, 2013, 16:10
UK Probe was manufactured and distributed by EMI so any promotional posters would have been done by the licensed record company. EMI did have promotional posters printed by their sleeve printer often with the initials EJD which is E.J.Day. I have never seen a record company resort to Silk Screen. I agree that it is possible that the band themselves or the management could have got the posters printed up, but unless you have some evidence of this then the matter is only for speculation. I think it is just as you say something created for the poster shop market. Sadly Hugh Hopper could have offered an opinion as he answered my query about Amougies, The Actuel Pop and Jazz festival with excellent recall.
lademell
68 posts

Oct 18, 2013, 16:27
Deepinder Cheema wrote:
UK Probe was manufactured and distributed by EMI so any promotional posters would have been done by the licensed record company. EMI did have promotional posters printed by their sleeve printer often with the initials EJD which is E.J.Day. I have never seen a record company resort to Silk Screen. I agree that it is possible that the band themselves or the management could have got the posters printed up, but unless you have some evidence of this then the matter is only for speculation. I think it is just as you say something created for the poster shop market. Sadly Hugh Hopper could have offered an opinion as he answered my query about Amougies, The Actuel Pop and Jazz festival with excellent recall.

I have seen oddly silk-screened promotional materials before (Tyrannosaurus Rex and some others). UK Probe was done through EMI, but in '68 and '69 there were very few materials printed by them. Yes, the first two Pink Floyd singles had flyer-size shop materials. PIPER, SAUCERFUL, MORE and UMMAGUMMA did not (UMMAGUMMA did have a US promo poster though, which I own).

Again, if this did not come via Probe/EMI, then it was through band management to be sold at gigs. Do not believe this was printed for head-shop distribution, because, as I stated earlier, Soft Machine never reached that level of penetration (a Zeppelin, Hendrix, Doors level). Also, there would be more of them in circulation.

It is a shame that Hugh Hopper is no longer here. He was a wonderful musician.
Deepinder Cheema
Deepinder Cheema
1972 posts

Oct 18, 2013, 16:31
....as for the brilliant Scott Engel poster, that is a Philips record company poster. I have a very strong hunch that the artist is Linda Glover who worked for the Philips art dept and designed the cover for Scott 3. When the Art Dept was sacked in 1970 she then turned her hand to portraiture. Her best known creation was designing the Vertigo record label kinetic artwork.
Deepinder Cheema
Deepinder Cheema
1972 posts

Edited Oct 18, 2013, 16:40
Oct 18, 2013, 16:38
lademell wrote:
Deepinder Cheema wrote:

I have seen oddly silk-screened promotional materials before (Tyrannosaurus Rex and some others). UK Probe was done through EMI, but in '68 and '69 there were very few materials printed by them. Yes, the first two Pink Floyd singles had flyer-size shop materials. PIPER, SAUCERFUL, MORE and UMMAGUMMA did not (UMMAGUMMA did have a US promo poster though, which I own).

Again, if this did not come via Probe/EMI, then it was through band management to be sold at gigs. Do not believe this was printed for head-shop distribution, because, as I stated earlier, Soft Machine never reached that level of penetration (a Zeppelin, Hendrix, Doors level). Also, there would be more of them in circulation.

It is a shame that Hugh Hopper is no longer here. He was a wonderful musician.

I have to correct you there. Ummagumma did have an EMI UK Harvest poster. The poster is a recreation of the LP sleeve, but because the poster is larger there are 8 iterations toward infinity, so it was a bigger cut and copydex paste job. Rick Wright is the main image seated portrait. The word Slogan is repeated on the image. It is a very rare item indeed, Storm Thorgerson borrowed my poster when he was trying to locate the work.
lademell
68 posts

Oct 18, 2013, 16:42
Deepinder Cheema wrote:
....as for the brilliant Scott Engel poster, that is a Philips record company poster. I have a very strong hunch that the artist is Linda Glover who worked for the Philips art dept and designed the cover for Scott 3. When the Art Dept was sacked in 1970 she then turned her hand to portraiture. Her best known creation was designing the Vertigo record label kinetic artwork.

Yes, that one is my all-time prize. Definitely Philips issued. There is an artist credit in the lower right, but it's too stylized for me to make out...it could be Linda Glover but almost looks like 'Buford A' or something. It's also dated 1970....which means it was early in the year...either Jan or Feb. SCOTT 4 was released in November '69 under 'Scott Engel' but by late 1970 ('TIL THE BAND COMES IN), he'd reverted back to the 'Walker' stage name...
Deepinder Cheema
Deepinder Cheema
1972 posts

Oct 18, 2013, 16:56
lademell wrote:
Deepinder Cheema wrote:

Yes, that one is my all-time prize. Definitely Philips issued. There is an artist credit in the lower right, but it's too stylized for me to make out...it could be Linda Glover but almost looks like 'Buford A' or something. It's also dated 1970....which means it was early in the year...either Jan or Feb. SCOTT 4 was released in November '69 under 'Scott Engel' but by late 1970 ('TIL THE BAND COMES IN), he'd reverted back to the 'Walker' stage name...

I know Linda so I will ask her, if not her than I'm sure she could give an excellent lead as she knew a lot of the artists in the industry. Apart from my Ummagumma poster I think my all time prized possesion is the 1970 Comus poster of the bog body man by Roger Wootton, it has more of his arse than can be seen on the Dawn LP cover. It was printed either by Dawn Records or Red Bus agency.
lademell
68 posts

Oct 18, 2013, 16:59
Deepinder Cheema wrote:

These are some pictures of my record shop, Unifaun Records, in Pittsburgh. I recently was laid off from Warner Bros./WEA in NYC, so I decided to scale down and start a little used record store in Pennsylvania - the rarest posters are the paneled band shot Big Star, Eno's ANOTHER GREEN WORLD (I also have the other two Island Eno rock album posters - just not yet framed), the Pentangle, Talk Talk's LAUGHING STOCK:

http://i38.tinypic.com/20tpfg1.jpg

http://i35.tinypic.com/2zrdeac.jpg

http://i33.tinypic.com/2e5tvg6.jpg

http://i34.tinypic.com/2lcwy06.jpg

Holy grails would still be Nick Drake or Fairport on early Island (if they Exist), early Crimson on UK Island (if they exist), Harry Nilsson on early RCA...
Deepinder Cheema
Deepinder Cheema
1972 posts

Oct 18, 2013, 17:04
I can't access your images at the moment, but I can confirm that a 1970 King Crimson poster for 'Cat Food' single does exist as Island were pushing hoping that it would be a big hit.
lademell
68 posts

Oct 18, 2013, 17:48
Deepinder Cheema wrote:
I can't access your images at the moment, but I can confirm that a 1970 King Crimson poster for 'Cat Food' single does exist as Island were pushing hoping that it would be a big hit.

Indeed it does...I saw one years ago on eBay, and it only went for about US $50 - $70, as I recall, but it's flyer size, and essentially, the same as the "Cat Food" picture sleeve...with the retail information below.

Here is a picture of an HMV London shop window from Summer '69...in the lower middle, there appears to be a shop poster for ITCOTCK (the band shot):

http://i44.tinypic.com/6iwwts.jpg

I have Island posters for Roxt's FOR YOUR PLEASURE, all four 'vocal''rock' Eno records...and Roxy's SIREN (UK)...
Monganaut
Monganaut
2382 posts

Oct 18, 2013, 18:24
Wow, that's almost a scarey as that Comus album cover.

http://www.psychedelicfolk.com/files/Comus.jpg
Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index