37 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Edited Feb 10, 2013, 21:23
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 10 February 2013 CE
Feb 10, 2013, 18:21
Here we go...

Budgie - Squawk/Bandolier/Never Turn Your Back on a Friend/In for The Kill.
Loves em!!

Dead Beyond Buried - The Dark Era.
Capricorns - ST/River Bear Your Bones/Ruder Forms Survive
Radiohead - Hail to the Thief.
Carlton Melton - Country Ways
Headspace - I Am Anonymous
Sugar - Copper Blue
Black Rainbows - Carmina Diabolo

Ultrasound - Play for Today. Knew they'd reformed, didn't know an album was out until serendipity worked her magics again. I like this a lot - huge hooks and melodies but the adventurousness of the first time round is still present albeit in a more economical form.

The Holydrug Couple - Noctuary. Very nice although sometimes the vocals slip a bit uncomfortably into atonal, yelpy territory in that 'can't sing but I'll try anyway' way but, on the whole, I like v much!

Swilson - Demonology/Cool Skull. Roky Erikson has been referred to in reviews and I'd add a rockier, Skellington era Julian to that. Rough, ready and slightly unhinged. Tis good!

Ruby The Hatchet - st mini album/Ouroborous. Cool, female fronted stonery/occult riffage. The mini album is a tad rougher but the album proper rocks. Good stuff it be.

Blue Horses - Dragon's Milk & Coal. Nice twin fiddle-fuelled folk rock from Wales that operates somewhere between traditional stuff, NMA/Levellers & Inkkubus Sukkubus. Sadly, no longer going.

Nutz - Hard Nutz. Prime slice of second division 70's hard rock. Some great organ stuff and prog flourishes mixed with boogie and riffery. An...judicious use of talk-box AND clavinet. (Thanks Ian!)

Lone Star - st. Another lost 70s rock gem featuring latter-day UFO guitarist Paul Chapman.! (also Thanks Ian)

Band of Skulls - Sweet Sour. Loves em!

Pop Levi - Medicine. Another sterling slice of electro tinged glam stomp and rock n roll from Mr. Levi. Zep, Prince & Bolan jostle for space as is the norm with Pop Levi. A lotta fun.

Audrey Horne - ST. Various Black Metal alumni take time of their infernal day (night) jobs to make grunge tinted/70s rock inspired riffery as named after Sherilyn Fenn's (dribble) cherry-stalk twisting minx in Twin Peaks.

Rick Redbeard - No Selfish Heart. The Phantom Band frontman in folky singer-songwritery mode and very nice it is too. His voice really suits the sparse instrumentation and arrangements and there are lovely songs of life, love and loss. Just add alcohol for actual tears.

Obelyskkh - White Lightnin'. This is rather excellent. Psyche doom and stoner blended with hints of archaic prog and avant-noise. Lots to stroke the mind with in a heavy way.

EyeHateGod - Take As Needed For Pain. Savage sludgedoom riffery, like being punched in the face by a hairy redneck on crystal meth.

Dir En Grey - Uroboros. Japanese alt-metal band throw many things into the blender to pleasing effect.

Have a nice week x
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index