37 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2614 posts

Edited Feb 10, 2013, 16:44
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 10 February 2013 CE
Feb 10, 2013, 10:39
Dave Holland Quartet 'Prime Directive' - proof that straight jazz can still sound fresh and exciting in the modern era;

Deke Leonard 'Iceberg' - had to play this after reading his wonderfully salacious 'Rhinos, Winos & Lunatics' Manband biog in one thoroughly entertaining afternoon. What a way with a catchy riff or ten does ol'Rog have?

Fleetwood Mac 'Future Games' - one of several fine albums from the ignored Mac era between the classic blues era of the late 60s and the slick AOR of the mid 70s;

Family 'Fearless' - where the addition of John Wetton to the ranks brought an interesting harmonic element to both blend and conflict with Roger Chapman's abrasive charm;

Neil Young & Crazy Horse 'Psychedelic Pill' - where songs the size of seasons pummel and permeate the cranium until resistance becomes persistence and persistence becomes addiction;

Mick Ronson 'Slaughter On 10th Avenue' and 'Play Don't Worry' - there's only one great LP's worth of songs between these two patchy post Spiders efforts but my, when they're good, they're bloody marvellous;

The Rainbow Body 'Return Into Void' - lovers of Fripp, Fennesz and Frith are recommended to check this short and mesmerising collection of ambient drone at its best. Julian - not for the first time - is bang on the money in recommending this. I got mine as a cheap eMusic download, by the way (other download sites are available…);

And Beethoven's Fifth in two renditions, one great, the other dire. Giulini and Gardiner, in that order.

Keep warm and healthy out there, dudes.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index