36 - Hollow

36 - Lithea

36 - Memories in Widescreen

36 - Reunion / Deluge

36 - Tape Series : Green

36 - Tape Series : Red

36 - Tape Series : Blue

Eagles - st

Blind Willie McTell - The Classsic Years (discs A , B & C)

Popol Vuh - Cobra Verde

Christine 23 Onna - Acid Eater

My Bloody Valentine - mbv

Tony Scott - Music For Yoga Meditation And Other Joys

Jorge Reyes - The Flayed God

Jorge Reyes - Mort Aux Vaches

Robert Rich - Propagation

Steve Roach - Destination Beyond

Cressida - Asylum

Love - Love Lost

Zeit - Waves from the Sky

David Bowie - The Deram Anthology 1966 - 1968

Achim Reichel - Erholung

Bill Withers - Greatest Hits

Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused To Sing

The Zombies - Odessey & Oracle

V.A. - Studio One Sound
mingtp
mingtp
2270 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 10 February 2013 CE
Feb 10, 2013, 01:17
Albums

Foellakzoid - S/T, EP & II
The Holydrug Couple - Noctuary
Psychic Ills - One Track Mind
Witchcraft - Legend
Prince Rama - Top Ten Hits of the End of the World
Pretty Things - S.F. Sorrow
VA - Classic Rock Mag Rise Above Sampler (well worth getting!)
Blind Slime - Mid-Atlantic Gothic
Saturnalia - Magical Love (recommended)
Anthroprophh - Anthroprophh
Lumerians - Horizon Structures
Elly en Rikkert - De Draad Van Ariadne
David Holmes - Summer Ghosts on Radio Deux Mix
White Hills - Podcast 1
Uncle Acid & The Deadbeats - Blood Lust
Troubled Horse - Step Inside
Spiders - Flash Point
Aedi - Ha Ta Ka Pa
Unknown Mortal Orchestra - II
VA - Stonehenge 1984: A Midsummer Night Rock Show
Julian Cope - Saint Julian

Tracks

Wolf People - All Returns
Ima Robot - Greenback Boogie
13th Floor Elevators - Slip Inside This House & You're Gonna Miss Me
Lucifer's Friend - Ride The Sky
stray
stray
2057 posts

Edited Feb 10, 2013, 01:48
Feb 10, 2013, 01:27

Dadala - Baktun Memories. Nicely deranged. Get it here http://dadalamusic.com/discs__downloads/baktun_mementos

Rhythm & Sound - See Mi Yah.

Beequeen - Ownliness & Port Out Starboard Home. Snuggly odd evil lounge exotica. Very broad, unspecific, and put together with love. Recommended. Highly. Especially for those who think Electronic music in general has pulled into a layby to pull on its tadger in recent years. Yeah, Autechre, I'm looking at you. Come back and save us Beequeen.

Paul bradley - Chroma (cos we were all talking about drone music a few days ago)

Paul Bradley & Colin Potter - The simple plan.

Tutkoray - Silent Streams.

Fluxion - Traces.
Chaosmonger
977 posts

Feb 10, 2013, 02:35
Voivod - Target Earth
Darkthrone - Dark Thrones and Black Flags
Darkthrone - Circle the Wagons
Budgie - s/t
Tom Ze - Se o Caso e Chorar
Demilich - Nespithe
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2614 posts

Edited Feb 10, 2013, 16:44
Feb 10, 2013, 10:39
Dave Holland Quartet 'Prime Directive' - proof that straight jazz can still sound fresh and exciting in the modern era;

Deke Leonard 'Iceberg' - had to play this after reading his wonderfully salacious 'Rhinos, Winos & Lunatics' Manband biog in one thoroughly entertaining afternoon. What a way with a catchy riff or ten does ol'Rog have?

Fleetwood Mac 'Future Games' - one of several fine albums from the ignored Mac era between the classic blues era of the late 60s and the slick AOR of the mid 70s;

Family 'Fearless' - where the addition of John Wetton to the ranks brought an interesting harmonic element to both blend and conflict with Roger Chapman's abrasive charm;

Neil Young & Crazy Horse 'Psychedelic Pill' - where songs the size of seasons pummel and permeate the cranium until resistance becomes persistence and persistence becomes addiction;

Mick Ronson 'Slaughter On 10th Avenue' and 'Play Don't Worry' - there's only one great LP's worth of songs between these two patchy post Spiders efforts but my, when they're good, they're bloody marvellous;

The Rainbow Body 'Return Into Void' - lovers of Fripp, Fennesz and Frith are recommended to check this short and mesmerising collection of ambient drone at its best. Julian - not for the first time - is bang on the money in recommending this. I got mine as a cheap eMusic download, by the way (other download sites are available…);

And Beethoven's Fifth in two renditions, one great, the other dire. Giulini and Gardiner, in that order.

Keep warm and healthy out there, dudes.
flashbackcaruso
1058 posts

Edited Feb 12, 2013, 10:00
Feb 10, 2013, 11:15
Gavin Bryars - The Sinking Of The Titanic/Jesus Blood Never Failed Me Yet

Apryl Fool - Apryl Fool

David Bowie - Space Oddity

Vangelis - See You Later
Vangelis - The Dragon
Vangelis - Hypothesis

V/A - The Perfumed Garden Vol.3

The Fiery Furnaces - Widow City

Emerson Lake & Palmer - Trilogy

The Beach Boys - In Concert (1973)

Uriah Heap - Very 'Eavy...Very 'Umble

Dennis Wilson - Pacific Ocean Blue/Bambu

Robin Scott - Woman From The Warm Grass
Robot Emperor
Robot Emperor
762 posts

Edited Feb 10, 2013, 12:36
Feb 10, 2013, 12:35
mingtp wrote:
Tracks

Lucifer's Friend - Ride The Sky

A track which has more than a passing similarity to Immigrants Song but is possibly better, it’s all in the horns. Got a soft spot for that first Lucifer’s Friend album as it is all “wrong“ in a difficult to pinpoint way. Got something to do with some of them playing in the James Last Orchestra I am sure. Toxic Shadows defines it for me. Lets see..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hjicnb5aFG4

James Lawton singing, later of an unforgivable version of Uriah Heep. Just listened to it all after being sucked in after your post. A later album Mean Machine is supposed to be quite good, in a Rainbow sort of way, but I vowed never to listen to another album of theirs after an unfortunate exposure to their second album which is shit.

Anyway, I have been listening to…

Add N to (X) - Avant Hard.

The Auteurs - After Murder Park.

Amebix - Sonic Mass. At the risk of saying exactly the same things every time I post on here, this is so good. In a pagan metal Rose Kemp kind of way.

Arboretum - The Gathering. Which I have gone off. Sounding increasingly clod hopping and turgid. But I did like it. Just me being mercurial. Putting me off trying the new album though.

Danielle Dax - Dark Adapted Eye. Great yet impossible to get best of. Must try to get hold of Pop Eyes again (great album with a sleeve to give Toe Fat 1 a run for its stomach churning money).

The Fatima Mansions - Lost In The Former West.

Lynyrd Skynyrd - Gimme Back My Bullets, Skynyds First and Last, Street Survivors.

Queens Of The Stone Age - s/t. Possibly the greatest rock album ever. A ridiculous claim… but I reckon it might be.

Smoke Fairies - Blood Speaks. Could not get this at first but, after the insistence of Fatalist that I give it another go, concede that it may be the best album from a bumper 2012.

Spirit - Clear, Feedback, s/t, The Family That Plays Together, 12 Dreams. Even the Randy-less Feedback sounds great (well better than I remembered). All released so quickly after each other and all so great. Get the lot for under £12 in the Original Masters series.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Feb 10, 2013, 13:27
Yes - Tormato
Just got hold of this, and what a pleasant surprise it is too! Thanks Moon Cat & Ian B :-) Also got Time And A Word on CD for the first time, and I'd forgotten how great it is in places - some bloody marvellous organ on it.

Black Sheep - Kiss My Sweet Apocalypse
Listened to this about once when I first got it and hated it, to be frank. Since seeing Gnod the other week and hearing them sampling the title track, I've returned to it and really enjoyed some of it, particularly that title track. Now possibly my favourite Holy track. I'm afraid Ernesto still doesn't do it for me though.

Anthroprophh - S/T
Marvellous.

Argent - Encore
Double vinyl. One of the purchases from the Farncombe Music Club record fair yesterday. Couldn't get this on CD, so pleased to find a copy. Also got Schools Out desk and Yessongs coz I've been wanting the covers (the records were scratched to bits)!

David Bowie - Stage
Also from the record fair. Made a mistake, coz I should have got David Live - I already have Stage on CD. Nonetheless to my surprise it somehow sounds better on the vinyl. Squidling the Elder reckons that is just nostalgia!

Ian Hunter - Original Album Classics
Great value threefer. Hadn't heard any of these before. Loving Mick Ronson's bits in particular.

Arboretum - Coming Out of the Fog
ATV - The Image Has Cracked
The Heads - Enten Eller
Mountains - Centralia

Brian Eno - Lux
My yoga teacher played this in our class yesterday, and it was pretty perfect for yogaring to. I'm still hammering Taking Tiger Mountain and Warm Jets as well. Also listened to Begegnungen (Eno/Moebius/Roedelius/Plank) a couple of times - gorgeous.
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Feb 10, 2013, 14:16
Mostly running my player on shuffle, I often get thrown up stuff that either you've forgotten about or never really got round to listening to properly. Or don't even recognise. Or that is just so familiar you have forgotten what it was that blew your socks off, and oftyen just skip. Y'know, "familiarity breeds contempt" so to speak. This week that was:

Lou Reed - Transformer
Nothing like reconnecting with an old friend. This is near perfect, IMO. Seriously, go listen to one of the worst tracks (say, Wagon Wheel); ace isn't it?

Iggy Pop - Lust For Life
David Bowie - Hunky Dory
For me, these albums were always some sort of trilogy. All perfectly formed. Been fun hanging with them again
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2448 posts

Feb 10, 2013, 14:59
Mainly the first 4 Eno albums... also:

The Villagers - Awayland. Have to say i am quite liking this - seems a lot better than becoming a jackal

Shack - Waterpistol. First time i had heard the band after mentions around these parts. Worth a listen or two

Kraftwerk - Man Machine
Pages: 4 – [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index