Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 10 February 2013 CE

37 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Monganaut
Monganaut
2382 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 10 February 2013 CE
Feb 10, 2013, 17:00
Not been the best week, we buried my Dad on Monday, dratted chest infections and flu finally got the better of him. Feeling a little lost at the minute.

But A Jason Pierce said, music is medicine for the soul, and I've found plenty to to take my mind of of things.

Constantines - Tournament of Hearts/ Shine A Light
Just the right mix of melancholy and a uplifting, I think the guy singing has one of the best voices in rock. t times yearning and downbeat, but also ragged and soulful, great band, pity they're still not around.

Soul Jazz, Deutsche Electronische Musik comp Vol: 1.
Kosmische and Kraut flights of fancy in a great running order.

Iggy Pop - New Values
Must have repeated 'Endless Sea' about 50 times, just hit the spot.

Stereolab - Transient Random Noise Bursts With Announcements.
Had this for years, but never seemed to get played as much as say 'Cobra and Phases...' Pretty good LP, I knew more tracks than I recall, probably from other Stereolab compilations, but hey, I enjoyed it a lot.

Can - Lost Tapes
Been floating my boat a lot of late.

Broadcast - Tender Buttons/ Ha Ha Sound/ Fav Tracks compilation CDr
Kinda fitted in with my mood this week, played all these quite a bit.

Bowie - Man Who Sold The World
After the Danny Baker album show on BBC4 last week, dipped into my own Bowie archive. This is deffo one of my fav' Bowie albums. For me it has a slightly sinister vibe hanging over the whole record that I find quite unsettling. Esp the track 'After All', which has always given me the willies, probably more so than the 'Bewley Brothers', which also has a haunting air to it.

Nightmares on Wax - Smokers Delight
Great mix of soul, R&B and funk inna ambient stylee.

Magazine - Real Life/Second Hand Daylight
These hit the spot big time this week. I can remember my Dad being a bit put out when i blasted 'Permafrost' at full volume as a teen. "You can't play that, those bloody lyrics are obscene, what will the neighbours think". Still, blasted it out anyway when they were not around, mainly after school.

Grails - Doomsayers Holiday
I just love the Grails, can listen to them just about any time. Not quite as good as 'Burning Off Impurities', but a close second.

Have a good week y'all.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index