Robot Emperor
762 posts

Edited Feb 10, 2013, 12:36
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 10 February 2013 CE
Feb 10, 2013, 12:35
mingtp wrote:
Tracks

Lucifer's Friend - Ride The Sky

A track which has more than a passing similarity to Immigrants Song but is possibly better, it’s all in the horns. Got a soft spot for that first Lucifer’s Friend album as it is all “wrong“ in a difficult to pinpoint way. Got something to do with some of them playing in the James Last Orchestra I am sure. Toxic Shadows defines it for me. Lets see..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hjicnb5aFG4

James Lawton singing, later of an unforgivable version of Uriah Heep. Just listened to it all after being sucked in after your post. A later album Mean Machine is supposed to be quite good, in a Rainbow sort of way, but I vowed never to listen to another album of theirs after an unfortunate exposure to their second album which is shit.

Anyway, I have been listening to…

Add N to (X) - Avant Hard.

The Auteurs - After Murder Park.

Amebix - Sonic Mass. At the risk of saying exactly the same things every time I post on here, this is so good. In a pagan metal Rose Kemp kind of way.

Arboretum - The Gathering. Which I have gone off. Sounding increasingly clod hopping and turgid. But I did like it. Just me being mercurial. Putting me off trying the new album though.

Danielle Dax - Dark Adapted Eye. Great yet impossible to get best of. Must try to get hold of Pop Eyes again (great album with a sleeve to give Toe Fat 1 a run for its stomach churning money).

The Fatima Mansions - Lost In The Former West.

Lynyrd Skynyrd - Gimme Back My Bullets, Skynyds First and Last, Street Survivors.

Queens Of The Stone Age - s/t. Possibly the greatest rock album ever. A ridiculous claim… but I reckon it might be.

Smoke Fairies - Blood Speaks. Could not get this at first but, after the insistence of Fatalist that I give it another go, concede that it may be the best album from a bumper 2012.

Spirit - Clear, Feedback, s/t, The Family That Plays Together, 12 Dreams. Even the Randy-less Feedback sounds great (well better than I remembered). All released so quickly after each other and all so great. Get the lot for under £12 in the Original Masters series.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index