Unsung Forum »
Damned - worthwhile albums?

33 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
keith a
9574 posts

Re: Damned - worthwhile albums?
Apr 08, 2023, 11:57
I did. I really enjoyed it. I've seen them numerous times over the years but it was great to hear those early numbers played by the original line up (who I only ever saw once). I've always loved Rat's drumming so it was good to see him play again though in truth he was more restrained and less fluid than in his heyday (still very good though!) which is obviously understandable - it's surely no coincidence that the two remaining members, Captain and Dave Vanian, were (in footie terms!) the two who were most match-fit. (Brian James clearly had health issues and was pretty immobile but his playing was great).
They played the obvious ones like New Rose and Neat Neat Neat but the highlight for me was You Know which closed the set. It had an almost Telegram Sam beat and the sax wailing was the icing on the cake. Makes you realise how good the second album could have been with a less dry production. It was a great night and a cover of the Stones The Last Time was a pretty poignant moment.
I went to see them again the other night, this time with the current line-up.
They were on good form - the set was heavily dependent on their forthcoming album and the band seemed to be enjoying playing new material. Obviously there were a few old favourites too - Neat Neat, New Rose, Born To Kill (dedicated to Brian), Love Song, Smash It Up, etc - especially towards the end though one of the highlights was definitely the altogether more recent Standing On The Edge Of Tomorrow.
The Nightingales are support on the current tour which was great for me because I'm a fan of both and they were on form too! x
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index