Unsung Forum »
Damned - worthwhile albums?

33 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Brik
589 posts

Re: Damned - worthwhile albums?
Jan 26, 2013, 02:39
I've had all their stuff at one time or another, so I might actually be of some use here!

Damned Damned Damned is all two-minute punk-punk-punk stuff but is well worth a listen and iconic if nothing else.
Music For Pleasure's pub-rocky and sounds a bit like Eddie and The Hot Rods - not really essential material but it's got it's flashes.
The Black Album's incredible material and works like a more mature MGE, it veers plenty to the darker (and more psychedelic) side though.
Strawberries follows The Black Album nicely, big big career highlight and usually a lot of people's favourite - a bit more psychedelia and plenty of emphasis on the songs themselves - only one or two gothic moments.
Phantasmagoria's where Captain Sensible left and it all goes big-hair. I liked it, but this is the Eloise pounding drums and organs period.
Anything's much of the same. Having a whirl of the Light at the End of the Tunnel compilation can give you a reasonable image of what to expect from these albums. Likesay I liked it but I know not everybody warms to it.
Not of This Earth (standard album) / Jack Beanstalk (includes a radio session) is a bit more bland and not really essential. One of those withering band / withering album stories. Still some fair moments though.
Grave Disorder's a good un and Captain's back! Kind of embraces all their styles under one banner, plenty of goth and plenty of punk, sounds pretty with-it too.
So Who's Paranoid was completely absorbing and endearing, really a hard one to deny. They've still got it!

I reckon you'd be safest with Damned Damned Damned, Strawberries and probably The Black Album if Machine Gun Etiquette pleased you.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index