40 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

Edited Sep 04, 2012, 11:54
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 2 September 2012 CE
Sep 04, 2012, 05:16
1) Jah Lion - Colombia Colly.....one of Perry's very finest. Hard and rocks. A lot of good reggae seems to be now hard to get, and costs. One copy of this mint s/h on Amazon at the moment for just under twenty quid. I don't think you'll find it cheaper. The accompanying customer review nails it. Does not deserve obscurity. One track shares the melody of ...2) George Faith - Super Eight...so played that too.. still good....3) A comp that my mate made recreating a typical Jimi setlist from '67, culled from European radio broadcasts. The guitar is absolutely mental, flaying the studio versions of Stone Free, Fire, Hey Joe, Purple Haze etc. THIS is what the fuss was about early in '67. Shouldn't exist just on rare boots, but should be out there. A revelation, even to me.....4) by way of contrast, Brian Eno - Neroli.. Brian Eno in a meditation stylee. I was longing for a bit of random loud noise by the end, though...... 5) Van Morrison - Veedon Fleece.....I saw Mr Grumpy when he was 'on' at really close quarters and will always treasure the memory. He's 'on' on some of this. My favourite Van, runners up being Saint Dominic's and Too Late. Must dig 'em out..... 6) The Necks - Athenaeum. Still haven't found anything duff by them. To the contrary..... 7) The Necks - The Boys s/t...they do tunes on this one - sort of. Six tracks, instead of the usual single hour-long evolving odyssey. The main theme recurs three times. Spooky, atmospheric, haunting, doomy.. that sort of thing. Very, very good, as usual, but not the sort of thing to play at dinner parties unless you want to get rid of the guests. One track's on youtube..... 8) John Martyn - Ain't No Saint.. a four cd overview, and near as dammit perfect. The live stuff with Danny is extraordinary. Worth every penny..... 9) John Martyn - One World (deluxe edition)...the live version of the title track recorded in Regent's Park is my favourite bit of his electric guitar playing - needs headphones and volume for full effect..heartbreaking and ear shredding...and you can hear a robin singing in the trees. I want to hear all of that gi......10) Kate Bush - Directors Cut.... I never heard Sensual World or Red Shoes when they came out, and still haven't, so my opinions a tabula rasa. I love this record, don't care which year it came out, and think that with hindsight it'll be regarded as one of her finest, equal, if not even better than, 50 Words. Just skip Rubberband Girl. Which is crap..... 11) Kate Bush - Hounds of Love (expanded edition)...nothing to say.....12) V/A - Meet on the Ledge - An Island Records Folk Rock Anthology...what a label_____have a good week, and don't let the bastards grind you down. You're better :)
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index