Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 2 September 2012 CE

40 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
riverman
riverman
845 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 2 September 2012 CE
Sep 02, 2012, 19:44
Six Organs of Admittance - Ascent: Was away last weekend and returned to this refreshed from a few days not listening to it... it moved onto another plain, wonderful stuff... not sure if I prefer the shredding tracks or the beautiful Solar Ascent/Visions. Marvelous

Om - Advaitic Songs: Fantastic, reveals more and more with each listen.

Bill Fay - Life is People: This is lovely... has a sort of Talk Talk Spirit of Eden quality to it. Not too keen on the track sung with Jeff Tweedy. I've read reviews that say it's good pop song, it might be but it disturbs the flow of the record for me. Going back to Spirit of Eden it would be like Talk Talk putting one of their earlier pop songs on the album! But that's a minor quibble - a great record.

Sir Richard Bishop - Intermezzo: Great solo guitar album visiting various west-east musical geographies, the 14 minute Inner Redoubt is just gorgeous. Note there's a new Rangda LP (Bishop, Ben Chansy and Chris Corsano) in a couple of weeks... and they're playing Corsica Studios (London) on the 18th Oct with Carlton Melton in support.

Goat - World Music: Not sure if this will have the staying power of the above records but it's very fine and good fun and looking forward to seeing them on the 19th Oct with Gnod and TOTS.

The above have been on heavy rotation, but managed to listen to the following older classics:

SunnO))) & Boris: Altar
Doctors of Madness: Late Night Movies, All Night Brainstorms
Grails: Burning off Impurities

And Goat led me on to a Scandinavian evening listening to:

Movements: Sardines... and The World... LPs
The Goner: Behold a New Traveller
Alrune Rod: Hej Du
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index