Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Edited Sep 04, 2012, 10:49
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 2 September 2012 CE
Sep 03, 2012, 11:18
Albert Ayler Live In Greenwich Village The Complete Impulse Recordings disc 2
I think this is the same as the set released during his lifetime with the psychedelic sleeve.
It starts with 12 minutes of For John Coltrane which is a great drome where the sonority of the violin rather closely resembles that of the saxaphone.
I thought there was harpsichord on this material so was rather surprised to relisten to this for the first time in a while and not hear any.

White Denim D
Onetime duntists get progressively mellow but still sound pretty psych/prog. Guitar on here reminds me of somebody from the late 60s/early 70s That I can't think of. Will probably come back to me when I shake this cold.
I think a onetime 3 piece added a 2nd guitarist and let some other influences show.

United States Of America
Looks like the band that recorded this great electronic psych lp was very short lived in this incarnation. This sundazed version has bonus track from 2 different line-ups, an audition tape from September '67 where only the singer, composer and drummer are the same and a version of a band retaining the name from May '68 where only the singer remains.
THat singer was Dorothy Moscovitz who had a great clear voice and had gone out with the composer Joe Byrd but split up before recording. When they had been a couple they had been involved with Lamonte Young's Eternal music experiments as the day by day Velvets book White Light/White Heat details.
But United states Of America is primarily notable for electronic input.
It is eerie, dissonant, beautiful and downright psychedelic.
Shame that the band was so shortlived, could do with more of this.
There is Joe Byrd and the Field Hippies the next project by at least Joe Byrd but I've heard that's somewhat different.

Zappa Chunga's Revenge

Da Demons Contact High
Larry Coryell Grinnel Iowa December 1969

I'm going to come back and fill in more of this when my head stops spinning. Damn cold.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index