Kraftwerk - Ralf und Florian

James Brown - The Singles volume six 1969-1970
stray
stray
2057 posts

Edited Sep 02, 2012, 18:51
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 2 September 2012 CE
Sep 02, 2012, 14:40
Jherek Bischoff - Composed. A very impressive album, he recorded each musician individually in their homes with a laptop and microphone and then made an orchestra out of them.

Volcano! - Pinata. Enjoying this, its a bit Red Krayola in places. Unfortunately the vocalist sounds like he thinks he's in Radiohead occasionally, but the guitarists unexpected nods at Fugazi make up for it.

Oval - Sophioko EP. Glad this was free. Its okay, but this new 'hyperreal' sound is actually very, very limiting. Frankly you only need the Oh release, everything else in this style is just too samey. Get back to straight glitch Markus, it has variety at least. Also no bugger else is going to be arsed to make this kind of thing, even if you do open source the software tools.

Magical Unicellular Music - Kampuchea, my Kampuchea.

VA - 15th Birthday compilation (Kreislauf Netlabel). I have a track on this, 'Oh shit its a Pork Truck'. Its a great release from a netlabel that has been around now for an impressive time. the comp covers many styles, but you should find a couple of tracks that tickle you on it. http://sonicsquirrel.net/detail/release/15th+Birthday+Compilation/15678
flashbackcaruso
1058 posts

Sep 02, 2012, 14:58
The Doors - Morrison Hotel
The Doors - Waiting For The Sun

Linda Ronstadt/Stone Poneys - Evergreen, Volume 2
Linda Ronstadt, Stone Poneys & Friends - Vol. III

Laetitia Sadier - The Trip

Van Dyke Parks - Song Cycle
Van Dyke Parks - Discover America
Van Dyke Parks - Clang Of The Yankee Reaper

Various Artists - There Is A Light That Never Goes Out (MOJO comp)

Elvis Presley - For LP Fans Only
Elvis Presley - A Date With Elvis
Elvis Presley - Essential Elvis: Stereo 57

The Kinks - Sunny Afternoon (Marble Arch)
The Kinks - At The BBC
The Kinks - One For The Road

Vaughan Williams - Concerto Grosso

Paul Giovanni/Magnet - The Wicker Man OST (Silva Screen)

Tchaikovsky - Overtures (1812 etc)

Michael Nesmith & The First National Band - Magnetic South
Michael Nesmith & The First National Band - Loose Salute

Jack Nitzsche et al - Performance OST
aether
149 posts

Edited Sep 02, 2012, 23:06
Sep 02, 2012, 18:05
The Human League - Travelogue (I would often just play "the black hit of space" off this - and as a result I'd forgotten just how great the rest of the record is - esp. Only After Dark, Dreams of Leaving and Toyota City, and the dark Crow and A Baby)

Don Cherry - Relativity Suite (up there with Brown Rice and Organic Music Society - also has some of Haden's best raga double bass stylings)

Haizea - Hontz Gaua (beautiful Spanish mystically-themed folk-prog)

The Jam - Snap (perhaps one of the most perfect double best-ofs ever)

Terje Rypdal - Terje Rypdal

Material - Seven Souls (recently heard their early 80s material and was blown away) - do you know there early stuff IanB? Temporary Music 1 and 2 - some great bass playing - ethnological african/Asian
music(s) with a funk-punk energy and atmospheric cinematic quality. Seven Souls has William Burroughs reading on it.

Soft Machine - Six (up there with Vol 2 in my opinion, but with obvious differences. "The Soft Weed Factor" sees the Softs (under the auspices of Karl Jenkins) pay tribute to the mantric musical principles of Terry Riley et al.

Stomu Yamash'ta - Red Buddha and Man From the East (with Red Buddha Theater)

Sigur Ros - Sven-G-Englar

Michael Hoenig - Departure from the Northern Wasteland

Wigwam - Nuclear Nightclub

Magna Carta - Songs from Wasties Orchard

Bo Hansson - Sagan Om Ringen

Don Cherry (& Others) The Holy Moountain O.S.T.

Loka - Passing Place

Various Artists - Music in Sweden: Alternative Instrumental Music

regards,
Aether
riverman
riverman
845 posts

Sep 02, 2012, 19:44
Six Organs of Admittance - Ascent: Was away last weekend and returned to this refreshed from a few days not listening to it... it moved onto another plain, wonderful stuff... not sure if I prefer the shredding tracks or the beautiful Solar Ascent/Visions. Marvelous

Om - Advaitic Songs: Fantastic, reveals more and more with each listen.

Bill Fay - Life is People: This is lovely... has a sort of Talk Talk Spirit of Eden quality to it. Not too keen on the track sung with Jeff Tweedy. I've read reviews that say it's good pop song, it might be but it disturbs the flow of the record for me. Going back to Spirit of Eden it would be like Talk Talk putting one of their earlier pop songs on the album! But that's a minor quibble - a great record.

Sir Richard Bishop - Intermezzo: Great solo guitar album visiting various west-east musical geographies, the 14 minute Inner Redoubt is just gorgeous. Note there's a new Rangda LP (Bishop, Ben Chansy and Chris Corsano) in a couple of weeks... and they're playing Corsica Studios (London) on the 18th Oct with Carlton Melton in support.

Goat - World Music: Not sure if this will have the staying power of the above records but it's very fine and good fun and looking forward to seeing them on the 19th Oct with Gnod and TOTS.

The above have been on heavy rotation, but managed to listen to the following older classics:

SunnO))) & Boris: Altar
Doctors of Madness: Late Night Movies, All Night Brainstorms
Grails: Burning off Impurities

And Goat led me on to a Scandinavian evening listening to:

Movements: Sardines... and The World... LPs
The Goner: Behold a New Traveller
Alrune Rod: Hej Du
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Sep 03, 2012, 10:44
Sep 02, 2012, 19:53
Gustav Mahler Youth Orchestra, Daniele Gatti w/ Frank-Peter Zimmermann (violin) - Wagner, Berg, Bach, Strauss & Ravel
I had the good fortune to hear BBC Prom #57 in the flesh*. This young orchestra lit a big fire under a cleverly thought out programme of music from the late 19th and early 20th centuries, the Bach was Zimmerman's encore and totally relevant to the Berg concerto that preceded it. The crowd went mental (well, mental for a classical concert) and I can't remember the last time I was so moved at a Prom, if ever). Everything rock n roll sounded a bit trite all week by comparison. That will pass but the memory of last Sunday night wont in a hurry. I hope they are back next year with the Mahler.

* the tv broadcast is on the iPlayer but only until 10pm Thursday though the radio version is being repeated next Friday afternoon on Radio 3.

Joni Mitchell - Mingus
One of the few Unsung albums by the sometimes critically Oversung singer-songwriter. This record and Don Juan's Reckless Daughter marked the final break from the bland "Theme From Taxi" jazz inflections on some of her early 70s records. Melodically and in terms of sonics this is an absolutely gorgeous record, the core of the Weather Report ego machine (with Hancock replacing Zawinul)never sounded so selfless in serving the music and at 38 minutes it is the perfect length for an album leaving you wanting to start the record all over again. Sad that it adds up to less than the collaboration that Mingus and Mitchell intended but it is still as fine a tribute to the great composer and band leader as you could wish for.

Alison Balsom - Caprice
The trumpet is not my favourite frontline instrument in a classical context but this is a beautiful record despite some uber safe, don't-frighten-the-Classic-FM-horses repertoire choices. Well worth seeking out for the the Debussy, Tomasi and Rackmaninov pieces alone.

Keith Jarrett - The Survivors' Suite
Skates effortless on a beautiful horizon between clear sky modality and the choppy waters of free improv. If you only own one Keith Jarrett American Quartet record then this is the one. Avoid the common Post Punk position of mistaking the restraint and beauty of the Koln recordings for bourgeois blandness. This dispells any sense of him being in some way suspect or "coffee table". You don't have to wear your radicalism on your sleeve like Cecil Taylor to be testing the edges as a jazz pianist.

John Zorn - The Big Gundown: John Zorn Plays the Music of Ennio Morricone

Royal Scottish National Orchestra, Joel McNealy - Franz Waxman's score to "Rebecca"

Ennio Morricone - The Good, The Bad & The Ugly (Remastered)

Ennio Morricone - C'era una volta il west (Remastered)

Nina Rota - La Dolce Vita

The Carl Stalling Project - Music From Warner Bros. Cartoons 1936-1958

The Carl Stalling Project, Vol. 2: More Music From Warner Bros. Cartoons 1929-1957

Morton Feldman - Rothko Chapel
They can play this one at my funeral if they can't find the Looney Toons cds.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Sep 02, 2012, 20:10
Sep 02, 2012, 20:02
aether wrote:
Material - Seven Songs (recently heard their early 80s material and was blown away) - do you know there early stuff IanB? Temporary Music 1 and 2 - some great bass playing - ethnological african/Asian music(s) with a funk-punk energy and atmospheric cinematic quality. Seven Songs has William Burroughs reading on it. regards Aether

Blimey you've had an interesting week (Stomu, Wigwam, Material AND Human League!?) I do indeed know the Temporary Music music. I love that end of post punk where a band could sound like 23 Skidoo one minutes and produce records like "Over and Over" and "Bustin Out" the next. And what bass lines! Speaking of Material there is a really good new Nona Hendryx album out with the killer version of "Strange Fruit" that she sung live with Hal Willner at the RFH the other Sunday.
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2614 posts

Sep 02, 2012, 20:21
Some, or all, of
Santana 'The Swing Of Delight'
Tangerine Dream 'Alpha Centauri'
Peter Hammill 'Loops and Reels'
Bob Dylan 'Bob Dylan' and 'Freewheelin'' (in glorious mono)
Public Image Limited 'Paris aux Printemps'
Deke Leonard 'Before Your Very Eyes'
Weather Report 'I Sing The Body Electric'
Grateful Dead 'Go To Heaven'
Dr Strangely Strange 'Kip Of The Serenes'
Lefty Frizzell 'Life's Like Poetry'
Jona Lewie 'On The Other Hand There's A Fist'
Brinsley Schwarz 'Silver Pistol'
Radiohead 'The Bends'
Arild Andersen 'Clouds In My Head'
Gentle Giant 'Free Hand'
Brahms 1 (Philharmonia/Giulini)
Brahms 2 (BPO/ Keilberth)
Brahms 3 & 4 (Boston SO/Koussevitsky)
Beethoven 6 (Pittsburgh SO/Steinberg)
Varese 'Ameriques' (LAPO/Mehta)
aether
149 posts

Sep 02, 2012, 20:47
LoL! Not to mention the Jam!

Yeah, i'd like get hold of those Temporary Music lps. I know the Massacre record but i didn't know Material's er... material, went that far back. they sound so modern as well in terms of their production, modern in a good way that is!

regards,
Aether
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Edited Sep 03, 2012, 00:26
Sep 03, 2012, 00:22
Lots of krautrock, particularly that of a more elctronic (as opposed to rock) slant, seeing as I'm off to Berlin tomorrow. Particularly Tangerine Dream's "Analogue Space Years" compilation, Ash Ra Tempel's debut, plus "Schwingungen", "Cluster II", "Zuckerzeit", "Zowiesoso", "Muzik Von Harmonia" and that "Deutsche Electronishe Muzik" that came out a couple of years back.Guru Guru's "UFO" too, even though that is more rock-oriented than most of the others I've mentioned save Ash Ra Tempel.

Of recent releses it's mainly been Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti's "Mature Themes", "The Flaming Lips Plus Heady Fwends" (which is the most wiggy, experimental music they've made since "Zaireeka", and holds together surprisingly well as an album considering it's a disc full of one-off collaborations that originally came out as seperate downloads).

Then - of course - there's Glowpeople's Things and Solus 3's "Corner of the Dub". Due to a large backlog of recent purchases I've only had time to listen once each to those, but they both made an impression, and I'll get back to you both when I've had another week or so to assimilate them properly.
Pages: 4 – [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index