Music You Just Can't GET

Pages: 19 – [ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 11 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Kid Calamity
9045 posts

Re: Music You Just Can't GET
Jun 05, 2012, 09:18
Astralcat wrote:
Hmmmmm....maybe...I've only heard the twee shite.

Now, I'd have put you down as a bit of a fan of at least a few of her albums based on your tastes in other bands and genres. How odd.
Astralcat
Astralcat
742 posts

Edited Jun 05, 2012, 09:24
Jun 05, 2012, 09:24
Kid Calamity wrote:
Astralcat wrote:
Hmmmmm....maybe...I've only heard the twee shite.

Now, I'd have put you down as a bit of a fan of at least a few of her albums based on your tastes in other bands and genres. How odd.

I've not heard the interesting stuff. Maybe I should check it out. Any suggestions ?
Lubin
Lubin
509 posts

Jun 05, 2012, 09:48
Astralcat wrote:
Like Miles Davis said, there's only two types of music, good and bad. In respect of the broad church that is individual musical taste, there's always something that you just can't get. Leaves you unmoved, perplexed, or even raises the sonic hackles. Sometimes it's something clearly talented, and you can appreciate why others like it, but it just cannot connect with your groove sockets and vibe receptors.

For me the prime candidate is....Steely Dan. I cannot stand them. I have to turn them down if they come on the radio. They somehow manage to produce an almost allergic reaction in my head. Where others hear wit, finely crafted and expertly performed songs, all I hear is elevator music for coke sniffing californian yuppies. Is it me ?....

The less said about James 'fill my ears with boiling tar please' Taylor, the better.

Only just seen the thread as was keeping a low profile in the countryside yesterday to avoid anything J*%£@^e. Can I throw R.E.M into the equation.
Astralcat
Astralcat
742 posts

Jun 05, 2012, 09:54
You certainly can! I quite liked the odd early song as a youngster, but what an awful band they became. U2's Attic Portrait hits the road. Horrible. That 'Everybody Hurts' is another one for Satan's jukebox. Worthy of Gary 'head up royal rectum' Barlow. Totally formulaic band and indescribably boring IMO.
Lubin
Lubin
509 posts

Jun 05, 2012, 10:26
Astralcat wrote:
You certainly can! I quite liked the odd early song as a youngster, but what an awful band they became. U2's Attic Portrait hits the road. Horrible. That 'Everybody Hurts' is another one for Satan's jukebox. Worthy of Gary 'head up royal rectum' Barlow. Totally formulaic band and indescribably boring IMO.

I'll go along with that. I think you can tell things are going wrong with music when the BBC start using songs for the back drop of a programme plug. I particularly remember "Everybody Hurts" being used for the London Marathon one year. Satan's Jukebox wouldn't even accept it.
Pursued By Trees
Pursued By Trees
1135 posts

Jun 05, 2012, 10:44
No completely coherent theory on this, more of a floating clutch of different ideas/angles of approach to the problem and purely personal observations ...

People respond to different things in different ways. Something that someone can take completely in stride in their life will knock someone else for six. No two persons account of the same event, at which they were both present, will be exactly the same, sometimes differing wildly.

It occurred to me many years ago that every album I have contains something that I respond to for some reason, something that seems to chime with or reflect some aspect of myself or seems rooted in a particular time of life and recalls some experience or sensation. Therefore my collection could be seen as some sort of attempt to map or model my internal workings. It's making these things real and tangible and getting them on the outside. Not everyone feels the need to do this.

Not everyone uses or even listens to music in the same way. Not all music has the same function, or does the same thing if you prefer. Some folks see listening to an album as an activity in it's own right and will listen intently, concentrating on each nuance of every separate instrumental, percussive and vocal part while appreciating how they combine to form a whole that may feel like it has an overall effect greater than the sum of these parts. Some folks just like to have something to drive to or do the housework to.

Some music is easy and immediate. Some is not so easy on the ear and demands more work on the part of the listener, an active listening process. Some works equally well either way depending on what the listener requires of it at the time.

None of this means to say that, objectively anyhow, any of it is any less valid than anything else.

Maybe this particular album says nothing to me about my life ... maybe sometimes I just don't want to be reminded of my life and would like to feel something else for say the next 45 to 60 minutes or thereabouts.

Having said all that ... I find My Chemical Romance's 'The Black Parade' overbearingly derivative, pompous and pretentious ... but then, that's something I can't stand in myself.
Astralcat
Astralcat
742 posts

Jun 05, 2012, 10:49
Lubin wrote:
Astralcat wrote:

I'll go along with that. I think you can tell things are going wrong with music when the BBC start using songs for the back drop of a programme plug. I particularly remember "Everybody Hurts" being used for the London Marathon one year. Satan's Jukebox wouldn't even accept it.

They regularly parp it out with that wretched Robbie Williams song 'Angels' in Yeovil shopping centre, interspersed with the bland shreiking tone deaf 'r and b' hollerers (don't get me started on THAT one!).
Astralcat
Astralcat
742 posts

Edited Jun 05, 2012, 11:05
Jun 05, 2012, 11:04
Pursued By Trees wrote:
No completely coherent theory on this, more of a floating clutch of different ideas/angles of approach to the problem and purely personal observations ...

People respond to different things in different ways. Something that someone can take completely in stride in their life will knock someone else for six. No two persons account of the same event, at which they were both present, will be exactly the same, sometimes differing wildly.

It occurred to me many years ago that every album I have contains something that I respond to for some reason, something that seems to chime with or reflect some aspect of myself or seems rooted in a particular time of life and recalls some experience or sensation. Therefore my collection could be seen as some sort of attempt to map or model my internal workings. It's making these things real and tangible and getting them on the outside. Not everyone feels the need to do this.

Not everyone uses or even listens to music in the same way. Not all music has the same function, or does the same thing if you prefer. Some folks see listening to an album as an activity in it's own right and will listen intently, concentrating on each nuance of every separate instrumental, percussive and vocal part while appreciating how they combine to form a whole that may feel like it has an overall effect greater than the sum of these parts. Some folks just like to have something to drive to or do the housework to.

Some music is easy and immediate. Some is not so easy on the ear and demands more work on the part of the listener, an active listening process. Some works equally well either way depending on what the listener requires of it at the time.

None of this means to say that, objectively anyhow, any of it is any less valid than anything else.

Maybe this particular album says nothing to me about my life ... maybe sometimes I just don't want to be reminded of my life and would like to feel something else for say the next 45 to 60 minutes or thereabouts.

Having said all that ... I find My Chemical Romance's 'The Black Parade' overbearingly derivative, pompous and pretentious ... but then, that's something I can't stand in myself.

Absolutely. All very good points, and on a wet miserable monarchy infested double bank holiday, it's cathartic to lightheartedly vent a bit of sonic spleen as well! :-)))
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Edited Jun 05, 2012, 21:52
Jun 05, 2012, 11:09
Cream ("I Feel Free" excepted)

The White Stripes (or Dead Weather, or the Raconteurs, or any of their other yawn-inducing spinoffs)

Fleet Foxes

The Clash

Pretty much everything the Who did from "Tommy" onwards (although I suppose "Quadrophenia" had its moments)

U2

The Sisters of Mercy

Belle & Sebastian

Franz Ferdinand

Deep Purple

Everything Pink Floyd did after "Atom Heart Mother"

Yes

Emerson, Lake & Palmer

Gong (except for "Magick Brother" and about half of "Camembert Electrique")

Caravan

The Orb
Astralcat
Astralcat
742 posts

Jun 05, 2012, 12:01
I agree with most of that, apart from the prog of course, excepting Floyd. I don't go past Relic era. Mainly Syd for me.

The Clash don't do anything for me (funnily enough I'm warming more and more to punk courtesy of the current shennanigans - I heard some Damned on the airwaves - great stuff! Far better than the Sex Pistols/Clash). Fleet Foxes - yet another acoustic americana group of wannabee CSNY bores. Franz Ferdinand are more Indie Landfill, and Deep Purple were always the poor man's Zep.

I forgot to mention Kaiser Chiefs - truly horrible, and Elbow are basically a substandard Collins era tribute act. Prog for Unisex Hair Salons and Lidl.
Pages: 19 – [ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 11 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index