Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Astralcat
Astralcat
742 posts

Re: Music You Just Can't GET
Jun 04, 2012, 11:16
Five wrote:
Astralcat wrote:
The less said about James 'fill my ears with boiling tar please' Taylor, the better.

almost looks like he's feeling something, every now and again.

Ha! Exactly. Dreadful. I don't get Joni Mitchell either. Big Yellow Taxi makes me think bad things, and that laugh at the end of it. It's the aural equivalent of chewing tinfoil.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1n8rfFRvIH0
rockhopper
275 posts

Jun 04, 2012, 11:38
I'll throw in two entire genres. Opera and country and western. All of it. (you forgot U.2!)
Kid Calamity
9045 posts

Jun 04, 2012, 11:38
I'm... hmmm, okay with Joni Mitchell. Some of it just sounds twee and silly, but there are often some tasty muzos involved and things can veer off into some unexpected quality jazz zones.
Kid Calamity
9045 posts

Jun 04, 2012, 11:43
Actually, I do 'get' U2. It's just that much of it is blustering and false. However, I'm afraid I do prefer then vastly over Simple Minds, who have recorded two good songs, in their entire career: 'I Travel' and 'Life In A Day'.

Another bunch who've taken the U2 template and done precious little with it are Coldplay. Utter shit. They're just a souless U2 tribute band, IMO.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Jun 11, 2012, 08:46
Re: Music You Just Can't GET (EDIT)
Jun 04, 2012, 11:50
EDIT- my first stab at this was a load of pretentious twaddle so here is a list of some apparently seminal artists whose charms on record have passed me by (bar at most the odd song / moment) ...

Syd
Daniel Johnston
The Pixies
Throwing Muses and its off shoots
Stone Roses
Oasis
Happy Mondays
House of Love
TRex / Bolan (in all incarnations)
Blur
The Smiths / Mozza Solo
Primal Scream
Wedding Present
House Of Love
James
The Fall
New Order
The Incredible String Band
Acid Mothers
Dexys after the first album
Nico on her ownsome
Bjork
Weller solo (at the time I liked the Jam up to All Mod Cons)
Sonic Youth
Swans
Love
MC5
JAMC
MBV
Sunn 0)))
Astralcat
Astralcat
742 posts

Jun 04, 2012, 11:51
I thought of mentioning U2 and also Dire Straits, but I thought that would be too easy and self evident to annyone with a musical nerve in their body.

C & W ? Truly horrible. I tried, but to no avail, and those Gram Parson cds went straight back to the library and the all traces of their brief presence in my life were removed.
Astralcat
Astralcat
742 posts

Jun 04, 2012, 11:51
Kid Calamity wrote:
Actually, I do 'get' U2. It's just that much of it is blustering and false. However, I'm afraid I do prefer then vastly over Simple Minds, who have recorded two good songs, in their entire career: 'I Travel' and 'Life In A Day'.

Another bunch who've taken the U2 template and done precious little with it are Coldplay. Utter shit. They're just a souless U2 tribute band, IMO.

LOL! Shite tributing shite IMO...
Astralcat
Astralcat
742 posts

Edited Jun 04, 2012, 11:52
Jun 04, 2012, 11:52
Hmmmmm....maybe...I've only heard the twee shite.
Astralcat
Astralcat
742 posts

Jun 04, 2012, 11:53
Yep. Some great points there, Ian.
Astralcat
Astralcat
742 posts

Jun 04, 2012, 11:56
All those hoorible indie landfill bands eg. Snow Patrol, Editors, Bloc Party etc. Completely without merit, uninspired and tedious.

Ok...Belle and Sebastian..aaaaaAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH!
Pages: 19 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index