Pages: 19 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Astralcat
Astralcat
742 posts

Edited Jun 04, 2012, 11:00
Music You Just Can't GET
Jun 04, 2012, 08:05
Like Miles Davis said, there's only two types of music, good and bad. In respect of the broad church that is individual musical taste, there's always something that you just can't get. Leaves you unmoved, perplexed, or even raises the sonic hackles. Sometimes it's something clearly talented, and you can appreciate why others like it, but it just cannot connect with your groove sockets and vibe receptors.

For me the prime candidate is....Steely Dan. I cannot stand them. I have to turn them down if they come on the radio. They somehow manage to produce an almost allergic reaction in my head. Where others hear wit, finely crafted and expertly performed songs, all I hear is elevator music for coke sniffing californian yuppies. Is it me ?....

The less said about James 'fill my ears with boiling tar please' Taylor, the better.
stray
stray
2057 posts

Re: Music You Just Can't GET
Jun 04, 2012, 09:36
Oh no its not just you, I have a similar response to both Steely Dan and James Taylor. I also don't get, and get annoyed by The Greatful Dead. With The Dead I have a similar response to what John Lydon once said about Crass, 'Its okay, but why is there so bloody much of it ?'. The Dead go on, and on, and on, and on with seemingly no point to my ears anyroad. I'd also put Zappa in to that 'why so much of it, and why so similar ?' tray too. Okay, the first few Zappa albums are um... fine I suppose but then there are too many tunes where 'la la la we say this.. and a short pause... to go down low to say that.. and go back up.. and 8 bar solo in a different time signature.. and 1-2 bars of silence.. then go back to la de..' fucking hell why ?

Also.. Leonard Cohen, Scandinavian Death Metal and Four Tet.
Astralcat
Astralcat
742 posts

Jun 04, 2012, 09:52
I like some Dead albums ie. songs, but their long boring jams bore me to tears. As for Zappa, some early Mothers I'm ok with, but in general I find it all a smug techno wankathon for frat boys. Scandinavian Death Metal, to my ears at least, is hideous and devoid of any merit whatsoever.

I also don't get Jeff Buckley, a one vocal trick pony IMO(the histrionics of his version of Hallelujah are like the chest beating wailings of the demonic love child spawned by Bjork and Bono). I don't particularly like the song, but Cale does it best. As for Len, well ok, respect and all that, but I have to set my alarm clock if he's on.
stray
stray
2057 posts

Jun 04, 2012, 10:00
Yeah, Jeff Buckley, I agree with that too. Actually I think Leonard Cohen is a truly great songwriter, its just that my brain and ears has a problem with his voice and delivery that I just can't get over.
Astralcat
Astralcat
742 posts

Jun 04, 2012, 10:17
Exactly. Great songwriter but I just find his delivery so boring. I'm Your Man was the closest I got in terms of being able to engage in listening.
rockhopper
275 posts

Jun 04, 2012, 10:45
Kraftwerk do it for me. Bloody robot pop. Awful stuff altogether.
Astralcat
Astralcat
742 posts

Jun 04, 2012, 10:54
They leave me cold. Can't stand it. Soulless. Suits and bloody robots. Urgh.
Kid Calamity
9043 posts

Edited Jun 04, 2012, 11:06
Jun 04, 2012, 11:05
Right. Pet Shop Boys, Bob Dylan, Leonard Cohen, Flaming Lips, Yes, Genesis, KISS, Jethro Tull an awful lot of Chick Corea's post Miles Davis output, Zappa in many instances and Metallica.
Astralcat
Astralcat
742 posts

Jun 04, 2012, 11:11
Kid Calamity wrote:
Right. Pet Shop Boys, Bob Dylan, Leonard Cohen, Flaming Lips, Yes, Genesis, KISS, Jethro Tull an awful lot of Chick Corea's post Miles Davis output, Zappa in many instances and Metallica.

I'm with you on Pet Shop Boys - horrible. Genesis - no thanks (quite liked Gabriel era when I was 13 but nah..). Kiss - nope, and Corea post Miles - doesn't do much for me either.

Why people rate Johnny Cash baffles me, and as for Bruce Springsteen, how many tedious rock epics about going down the highway chasing a dream with a girl called Wendy with the wind in your hair, can you churn out ? The barely thinking man's Meatloaf.
Peter Gabriel ? Pompous and utterly boring.
Five
Five
960 posts

Jun 04, 2012, 11:12
Astralcat wrote:
The less said about James 'fill my ears with boiling tar please' Taylor, the better.

almost looks like he's feeling something, every now and again.
Pages: 19 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index