Pages: 19 – [ Previous | 18 9 10 11 12 13 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
paradox
paradox
1576 posts

Re: Music You Just Can't GET
Jun 05, 2012, 20:26
Astralcat......

Seeing as you've agreed with just about everybody's choices.......Do you like any music at all?

Just asking like....
Gnomon
Gnomon
1121 posts

Jun 05, 2012, 21:29
Pursued By Trees wrote:
Having said all that ... I find My Chemical Romance's 'The Black Parade' overbearingly derivative, pompous and pretentious ... but then, that's something I can't stand in myself.

I am trying hard not to be a music snob, but must say, I find it a real struggle. I find it hard to comprehend how many people are not able to engage with music in the way I do!

A couple of years ago I was around my brother's house, leafing through his records for stuff to borrow and record (we shared a bedroom as teenagers and so when I moved out I obviously didn't take his records - except for one or two exceptions! - with me) when I found a bunch of Sweet 7"s. These belonged to his wife from her youth. I was impressed. When I chanced upon a 'Best Of Sweet' collection cd I snapped it up and saved it as an Xmas pressie for her. Some months after (we're no longer a close family) I had the opportunity to ask her what she thought, thinking she'd have been delighted to have her vinyl 45s on a playable format. She was totally dismissive, saying something like 'I suppose they were good in their day.' It's been stuff you can buy cheap in the January sales, wrap up and leave in the cupboard until December and then just stick a label on for her ever since.

:o)
rockhopper
275 posts

Re: Bands I used to like but can no longer stand!
Jun 05, 2012, 22:06
Which leads on to the obvious follow on to all this...Bands I used to like but can no longer stand! Be very little left at all after that! ;)
espsummer
340 posts

Jun 06, 2012, 00:06
that would be a great new thread. Led Zeppelin for starters
rockhopper
275 posts

Jun 06, 2012, 00:17
Shall we keep it here? I've Black Sabbath records that hav'nt been pulled out of their sleeves for nigh on 30 years!
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Edited Jun 06, 2012, 00:24
Jun 06, 2012, 00:20
Not sure the scope of this as believe that 99% of music is rubbish and there's too much music and not many years left to filter through finding the worthy stuff.

If i was to keep it to artists who are the darlings of music journalists (i.e. they have a lot of respect in the biz) then would have to say that the following deliver less than 1% greatness in my world...

Bjork
Van Morrison (can't think of a single track tbh)
The Blue Nile
U2
The Orb
The Cure
Pink Floyd
Rush
99% Prog Rock. Horrible genre of music.

Artists who have too much credibility and, in my opinion, produce(d) about 50% or less greatness output (....like many artists i suppose)...
Beach Boys
Brian Eno
Stone Roses
Tom Waits
The Clash
Love (apart from forever changes and a bit of da capo .....what else?)
The Fall (up and down like a yo yo)

Artists who got loads of cred and muso journo points and hit the mark on most occasions....i.e. the greats to name a few....

The Beatles
Miles Davis
Coltrane
Throbbing Gristle
Joy Division
Kraftwerk

8)
PMM
PMM
3155 posts

Jun 06, 2012, 00:30
Psychedelic Revolution. I struggled with it on first listen and it hasn't grown on me at all.
Astralcat
Astralcat
742 posts

Jun 06, 2012, 07:26
paradox wrote:
Astralcat......

Seeing as you've agreed with just about everybody's choices.......Do you like any music at all?

Just asking like....

Ha! Well, how long have you got. I was selective in my agreements, as some suggestions are bands/artists I like ie. Dylan, Waits, Van Morrison and the mighty Yes, for example. Surely you don't want me to type 'em all now ? Let's here it for The Incredible String Band for starters, and Pentangle, VDGG, Faust, Can, Amon Duul 2, Parson Sound, Bobby Crush, Taja Mahal Travellers, Leadbelly, Peters and Lee, Om, King Crimson..rave on!
Astralcat
Astralcat
742 posts

Jun 06, 2012, 07:27
espsummer wrote:
that would be a great new thread. Led Zeppelin for starters

Yep. Led Zep and The Smiths for me.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Jun 06, 2012, 17:26
Bob Dylan. Plenty have tried to get me to like him; usually the word 'important' comes up a lot. Just so NOT arsed. Soz Bob.

Van Morrison. I like Moondance and the odd song but there's scores of things I'd rather listen to before him.

Rhinstone country and Western

Brroooooooce. See Bob.
Pages: 19 – [ Previous | 18 9 10 11 12 13 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index