Music You Just Can't GET

Pages: 19 – [ Previous | 17 8 9 10 11 12 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
mingtp
mingtp
2270 posts

Re: Music You Just Can't GET
Jun 05, 2012, 13:06
My own shitlist is here: http://www.headheritage.co.uk/headtohead/unsung/topic/63479/flat/, but for the record it is:

Queen
T-Rex
Thin Lizzy
Post-Syd Pink Floyd
Pavement
Oasis
Van Morrison
Black Country Communion
The Smiths
Dream Theater
Beach Boys
Genesis
Yes
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7718 posts

Jun 05, 2012, 13:28
Astralcat wrote:
ps: do you have shares in the term po-faced ? ;-))

You know how it is when you find something that fits well. If it ain't broke, etc.

Po-faced would apply to a quite lot of this thread (and quite a bit of Unsung these days).
Astralcat
Astralcat
742 posts

Edited Jun 05, 2012, 13:33
Jun 05, 2012, 13:31
Vybik Jon wrote:
Astralcat wrote:
ps: do you have shares in the term po-faced ? ;-))

You know how it is when you find something that fits well. If it ain't broke, etc.

Po-faced would apply to a quite lot of this thread (and quite a bit of Unsung these days).

Po-faced ? Nah. Just banter. I think Unsung's doing fine. Lighten up a bit and start a thread then !

:-)
keith a
9573 posts

Jun 05, 2012, 14:11
Astralcat wrote:

They regularly parp it out with that wretched Robbie Williams song 'Angels' in Yeovil shopping centre

Not heard that one. Great title though. sounds like something Mark E Smtih might come up with! ; )
Astralcat
Astralcat
742 posts

Jun 05, 2012, 14:44
mingtp wrote:
My own shitlist is here: http://www.headheritage.co.uk/headtohead/unsung/topic/63479/flat/, but for the record it is:

Queen
T-Rex
Thin Lizzy
Post-Syd Pink Floyd
Pavement
Oasis
Van Morrison
Black Country Communion
The Smiths
Dream Theater
Beach Boys
Genesis
Yes

Ditto: Queen, (glam version) T Rex, Thin Lizzy, Syd-less Floy, Pavement, Oasis, The Smiths (fine when I was an adoloescent, can't bear them now), Dream Theatre.

I forgot to mention Red Hot Chili Peppers - duuuuullllll in the extreme. They've only got one riff/song which they keep re-hashing. It would help if it was a vaguely good one.
The Hidden Corner
The Hidden Corner
149 posts

Jun 05, 2012, 14:45
Am very much enjoying this thread and find myself agreeing with many of the choices - particularly Steely Dan, or 'The Dan' has a friend refers to them, not quite getting that I do not like them - or, in the spirit of this thread, I just don't get them (maybe the penny will drop for me one day but I doubt it) Was dragged along to see a tribute act of 'The Dan' a few years ago (Nearly Dan) and I really wanted to shout out 'play All Around My Hat' but knew that any such attempt at humour would fall flat, so wisely kept my crap joke to myself.

I'd like to offer up Nick Cave to the ever growing list.
Astralcat
Astralcat
742 posts

Edited Jun 05, 2012, 14:51
Jun 05, 2012, 14:49
Nearly Dan? Jeez...that's frightening. The idea of requesting 'All Around My Hat' is pure genius! LOL :-)

Yep. With you on Nick Cave. Tesco Value Tom Waits IMO.
The Hidden Corner
The Hidden Corner
149 posts

Jun 05, 2012, 15:40
Think we're of like minds astralcat. Now I've got the knives out I'll stick them into bands like Mogwai and Sigur Ros - I do 'get' them, it's just that I'd far rather listen to some good original kraut rock than any of this Johnny come lately wallpaper music.
Astralcat
Astralcat
742 posts

Jun 05, 2012, 16:07
The Hidden Corner wrote:
Think we're of like minds astralcat. Now I've got the knives out I'll stick them into bands like Mogwai and Sigur Ros - I do 'get' them, it's just that I'd far rather listen to some good original kraut rock than any of this Johnny come lately wallpaper music.

The little I've heard of Mogwai didn't do that much for me at all, Sigur Ros I'm so so, not heard much. One early album sort of reminded me of Enya/Lord Of The Rings style Ambient. However, Drew of this Parish posted be a couple of tracks on FB that I liked so it's a raincheck job with them. I far prefer my 4AD, Krautrock and Cosmic Jazz and Progscapes as a rule. Yes, King Crimson, VDGG are full on in my headspace, but that's what the thread's about anyway.
I have fort duels at dawn in defense of Tales from Topographic Oceans, hence the wooden leg and the limp..I'll continue to do so until I'm like Python's Black Knight if necessary!..;

Now as far as prog goes, I'm very discerning..I tried Porcupine Tree but lapsed into a temporary coma and all it did was convince me that modern prog is shite and that includes Radio Head, no matter how much they claim otherwise...
The Hidden Corner
The Hidden Corner
149 posts

Jun 05, 2012, 19:28
Astralcat wrote:
The Hidden Corner wrote:

The little I've heard of Mogwai didn't do that much for me at all, Sigur Ros I'm so so, not heard much. One early album sort of reminded me of Enya/Lord Of The Rings style Ambient. However, Drew of this Parish posted be a couple of tracks on FB that I liked so it's a raincheck job with them. I far prefer my 4AD, Krautrock and Cosmic Jazz and Progscapes as a rule. Yes, King Crimson, VDGG are full on in my headspace, but that's what the thread's about anyway.
I have fort duels at dawn in defense of Tales from Topographic Oceans, hence the wooden leg and the limp..I'll continue to do so until I'm like Python's Black Knight if necessary!..;

Now as far as prog goes, I'm very discerning..I tried Porcupine Tree but lapsed into a temporary coma and all it did was convince me that modern prog is shite and that includes Radio Head, no matter how much they claim otherwise...

Yes, I know what you mean about Radiohead - I know they're good but I can't listen to them because their influences are stuff such as Can that I really revere - I'll be seeing them play live in Berlin in July (Radiohead, not Can unfortunately) with my wife and son who are both massive Radiohead fans - I'm looking forward to Berlin, not so bothered about seeing Radiohead though.
Pages: 19 – [ Previous | 17 8 9 10 11 12 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index