Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 6 November 2011 CE

61 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
machineryelf
3681 posts

Edited Nov 07, 2011, 14:46
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 6 November 2011 CE
Nov 07, 2011, 10:36
Procer Veneficus – Ghost Voices dolefulnufolkambientblackmetslthingummy, suitable for november
Iron Maiden – Final Frontier, Dance of Death, Number of the Beast having ignored Iron Maiden pretty much for the last 25 years I'm finding myself increasingly attracted to them recently, possible midlife crisis or more likely sometimes I just want to listen to something bouncy & fun that isn't the Ramones
Montrose – S/T, Paper Money,Warner Bros Presents, Jump On It + Ronnie Montrose solo lp Open Fire decided to replace my worn out vinyl of the first LP and found one of those 5 for a tenner sets including the rest of the Montrose ouvre, having only heard Paper Money in passing back in the 70s and dismissing it as a pale shadow of the debut was quite impressed with the rest of the set.None of it matches the debut, but if you like 70s rawk you could do a lot worse, every cd has at least a couple of classics and none of it truly qualifies as filler, sent me on a 70s rock nostalgia trip so I also gave REO Speedwagon-10 Decades of RnR,Foghat Live,Aerosmith Live Bootleg,Riot Narita & Fire Down Under and to top it off the band that killed them all off Van - Halen Women & Children First
Deep Purple –S/t
Can – Tago Mago gave this a spin after seeing it mentioned in the 40 years old today thread, I’m of the opinion that there are probably a lot of mint vinyl disc2’s out there along with the worn out Disc 1’s, must admit my usual way of listening to this is the first half tacked onto the end of Monster Movie or Soundtracks, I doubt if my listening to Peking O has reached double figures
Swans – Are Dead
Caina –Hands That Pluck final release from the very grumpy Mr Caina, and IMHO going with a whimper[or a very deep growl] rather than a bang,not so much bad as not as good as the last 2
Zappa – Hot Rats
Dephic Vapours – On Their Knees
Tim Hecker – rave death 72
Bong – Bethmoora
Pantha du Prince – Black Noise
Klaus schulze – La Vie Electronique vols 1-5 still ploughing through these, but not to the exclusion of all else, all first class stuff though, still considering 6-10

edit forget to put down Oneida - AbsoluteII purchased on a whim after reading the Norman review and seeing it in a m'boro record shop, it has it good parts but it lacks any cohesion IMHO may well work as a comedown after Rated O but on its own it's all a bit formless, track 2 has some nice disquieting stabs in but otherwise the 4 drones are seriously lacking in a buildup or coherent finish
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index