61 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
flashbackcaruso
1057 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 6 November 2011 CE
Nov 06, 2011, 17:23
Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark - The Pacific Age
Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark - History Of Modern
Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark - Navigation: The OMD B-Sides (Three releases that showcase the strengths and weaknesses of OMD. The Pacific Age is marred by some really overbearing mid-80s production, especially on the opening track 'Stay', but still has a few richly atmospheric moments for devotees. The next LP by the original 4 piece, last year's History Of Modern, I tend to listen to in my reworked 9-track version which moves 'Sister Marie Says' to track 2 and omits the dreadful comeback single 'If You Want It', the rather uninspired love-letter to Kraftwerk 'RFKW', and the completely un-OMD 'Sometimes' and 'Pulse', both of which are reasonably well done, but rather toe-curling. If you have this album, try resequencing it this way - it becomes much tighter, and closer in tone to Organisation or Architecture & Morality. The B-sides comp features some of their best tracks, such as 'Navigation' and 'The Avenue', but some drek towards the end (the surprisingly feeble A&M out-take 'Gravity Never Failed', and 90s b-sides 'Burning' and 'Sugar Tax'), redeeming itself at the last moment with the mellotron terrorism of 'The Angels Keep Turning (The Wheels Of The Universe)'.

of Arrowe Hill - Hexadelica & The Speed Of Darkness
of Arrowe Hill - Dulce Domum (Pleased to hear that Hexadelica, originally only released in a limited edition of 69 copies, is getting reissued as a download. Starts off by relocating Black Sabbath from Birmingham to Liverpool and concludes with a blood-curdling scream. Both LPs are the usual oAH mix of heaviosity and Edgar Allan Poetry).

Hugh Cornwell & Robert Williams - Nosferatu (Hadn't played this for a while, but it seemed to suggest itself for another spin during Halloween week).

Pet Shop Boys - Fundamental (Never thought this quite lived up to the promise of a full PSB LP produced by Trevor Horn, especially compared to their first collaboration 'Left To My Own Devices', but I am starting to appreciate it more. Majestic closing track 'Integral' is the undoubted classic here).

The Beach Boys - The SMiLE Sessions (A 20-plus year obsession is finally given the closure I thought I'd experienced when I heard Brian unveil his reconstructed version at the Royal Festival Hall in 2004. But there is nothing to equal the spectral qualities of the original Beach Boys session tapes, and this massive 5CD box set is a real treasure trove. Haven't made it all the way through yet, but I expect I'll be spinning the double vinyl LP included as part of the package many times before the year is out).

Flying Saucer Attack - Chorus (One of their best - a Peel session takes up the whole of side one, and side two features the gorgeous 'Beach Red Lullaby').
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index