Music of the Sad.

Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
head-first
head-first
214 posts

Re: Music of the Sad.
Aug 23, 2011, 15:44
Me too, I think they were at their peak around 'Daydream Nation'. It's odd, I used to love Sonic Youth, now I feel really indifferent about the music. Think I glutted myself on them and started to feel sick!
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Aug 23, 2011, 15:46
keith a wrote:
The Sea Cat wrote:

Daminxa wrote:

Genesis I never really got - posh lads from Charterhouse who were doubtless accomplished musicians but never really did it for me.

I know exactly what you mean. They got a lot more low down and meaner when Phil Collins brought his working class London grit and attitude to the proceedings.

Please tell me you're joking!

arf!
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Aug 23, 2011, 15:48
All that spitting and bad trousers.....
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Aug 23, 2011, 15:50
I nearly forgot....

A great big yawn for The Red Hot Chillie Peppers, the Wetherspoons Curry Night of modern rock.
Lubin
Lubin
509 posts

Aug 23, 2011, 15:51
The Sea Cat wrote,

Steely Dan! Jeeezzz.....smart arsed yuppie slick coked up muso cocktail bollox.

Urgh.[/quote]

Exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Edited Aug 23, 2011, 17:03
Aug 23, 2011, 17:00
FifePsy wrote:

Grateful Dead. Utterly uncomprehensible to me other than Oswald's plunderphonic cut up of Dark Star.

On my list also for similar reasons. My dad's ex-brother in law (it's complicated) was/is a HUGE Dead fan. One of those nutters that has crates and crates of bootlegs from every pico-second of every gig they ever played since the dawn of time. And, I just didn't get it! Sure, the playing was nice and the guitar was nice...but I just couldn't reconcile the amazing band name, the fab album art and the supposed cosmic-ness with what sounded all the world to me like...a bit countryish, bit more improvy...fairly benign soft-rock. Seemed disappointingly and incongruously normal, like if GWAR sounded like Air Supply or something.
Best thing is to look at an album sleeve and stick something trippier on.

Oh I should also like to add Bruce Springsteen to my list.
Again, there's the odd song I like - tends to be the more restrained stuff -but on the whole I have thus far avoided the charms of the supposed blue-collar AOR of a man that often sounds like he's SO sincere he's taking a massive dump in his working-man's Jeans.
mingtp
mingtp
2270 posts

Aug 23, 2011, 17:03
Moon Cat wrote:
FifePsy wrote:
Grateful Dead. Utterly uncomprehensible to me

On my list also for similar reasons.... And, I just didn't get it! Sure, the playing was nice and the guitar was nice...but I just couldn't reconcile the amazing band name, the fab album art and the supposed cosmic-ness with what sounded all the world to me like...a bit countryish, bit more improvy...fairly benign soft-rock. Seemed disappointingly and incongruously normal, like if GWAR sounded like Air Supply or something.

^What Moonie said! Once again you have summed up my thoughts on something far more eloquently than I could.
riverman
riverman
845 posts

Aug 23, 2011, 17:19
Anybody mentioned U2 yet?
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Aug 23, 2011, 17:21
Heh!

As it happens, I like em (well, quite a lot of songs)

But then I don't think I've ever been overburdened with people telling me how 'great' they are ;^)
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Edited Aug 23, 2011, 19:26
Aug 23, 2011, 19:21
though there's a certain amount of truth in that!

Without Buster you've got......well , Mike & the Mechanics?

8)
Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index