Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Re: Music of the Sad.
Aug 23, 2011, 12:29
Made me lol too.

I assume there's an element of familairity breeding contempt with The Beatles. Yes, I UNDERSTAND how culturally significant they are, I just don't wanna listen to them
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Aug 23, 2011, 12:30
The Sea Cat wrote:
Now that I've clarified the textual error in my other post (!), I reckon it has to be the following:

Country & Western
Yodelling
Punk Rock
Enya
Chas & Dave
Radiohead.

I love that you have three artists there who are so irritating that they eclpise whole genres in their annoyingness!
Daminxa
Daminxa
1415 posts

Aug 23, 2011, 12:47
I'm not ashamed to say it - I'm a HUGE fan of Queen. I remember as a kid going quasi-bonkers every time Queen were on the radio or TOTP, especially if it was 'Killer Queen' or 'Bohemian Rhapsody'. I've never stopped loving them, and I think Freddie Mercury had one of the best voices EVER. It was very sad when he died - I was at University at the time and one of my favourite lecturers was a personal friend of Mr Mercury (I think he knew him via Brian May who did Chemical Engineering or something at the same University). I really do have a soft spot for melodrama and strutting arrogance in music and nobody did it quite like Freddie!

Post-Syd Floyd were ok in places but I agree, it was never quite the same. Even so, 'Shine on you Crazy Diamond' and 'Wish You were Here' remain among my favourite songs of all time, rightly or wrongly.

Genesis I never really got - posh lads from Charterhouse who were doubtless accomplished musicians but never really did it for me.

Thin Lizzy have their moments but I don't own anything by them I must admit.

As you say, it's horses for courses, one man's meat being another man's poison!
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Aug 23, 2011, 12:47
keith a wrote:

Quote of the thread along with Dave C's "Plus feedback and surf don't mix - its a horrible sound".

Makes mental note ... must try surfing whilst listening to "Metal Machine Music" on water-proof headphones.
Daminxa
Daminxa
1415 posts

Aug 23, 2011, 12:54
Chas and Dave are ace! I loathed them until my ex husband found one of their vinyl albums at a Brownie Jumble Sale in the village hall. You have to love 'em, but I do concede it's difficult to take them too seriously, and I really don't think that was ever their intention anyway!

Radiohead I do like, though I feel I'm in a minority on that one! 'OK Computer' is one of my favourite albums of all time, largely because when it was released it seemed to sum up a lot of how I was feeling at the time but couldn't articulate.

I don't mind Country and Western but I can only take it in small doses. That said I think Dolly Parton is a legend!

I think my least favourite genres are modern R&B (which seems to bear little if any relevance to it's roots) and straight-down-the-line manufactured pop. I'm really not keen on Katy Perry, Beyonce or Lady Gaga though I do concede they're very good at what they do. Same with Michael Jackson. Even before the kiddy-fiddling allegations and scandal, when everyone in the world was buying 'Thriller' and exhalting Jackson to god-like status, he left me cold.
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Aug 23, 2011, 12:56
I don't mind Queen and think that they were one of the only stadium bands in the 80s who produced OK records and kept some integrity while their peers (likes of Simple Minds/ Elton John, even David Bowie) were too busy attending to their shoulder pads and poodle mullets.

Queen also made every other band at Live Aid (including U2) look like second division wannabees.

8)
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Aug 23, 2011, 12:57
Daminxa wrote:

Genesis I never really got - posh lads from Charterhouse who were doubtless accomplished musicians but never really did it for me.

I know exactly what you mean. They got a lot more low down and meaner when Phil Collins brought his working class London grit and attitude to the proceedings.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Aug 23, 2011, 13:09
Aug 23, 2011, 13:08
dave clarkson wrote:
I don't mind Queen and think that they were one of the only stadium bands in the 80s who produced OK records and kept some integrity while their peers (likes of Simple Minds/ Elton John, even David Bowie) were too busy attending to their shoulder pads and poodle mullets.

Queen also made every other band at Live Aid (including U2) look like second division wannabees.

8)

Yes they did. I've been to a few stadium gigs and other outdoor shows over the years and not one act has managed to reach the back row just with musical dynamics alone.

Plenty try and dry hump the audience with pyros, video screen fluffers, dancers, stupidly large sets, pointless inflatibles and sheer blunt weight of volume. Queen just had to crank out those tunes and let Freddie work his magic. Never saw Zeppelin unfortunately but suspect they had the same thing going for them.
Pursued By Trees
Pursued By Trees
1135 posts

Aug 23, 2011, 13:25
Punk Rock -

Out of interest, is it all things punk? British and American mid/late 70's stuff onwards? Would you include things like 60's garage punk (such as are to be found on Pebbles and Nuggetts compilations)? Patty Smith? The Seeds? Third Bardo?

I know that everyone defines these things a little differently ... just wondering what sprt of thing falls within and without of what you personally might consider punk rock.
keith a
9573 posts

Aug 23, 2011, 14:23
The Sea Cat wrote:

Daminxa wrote:

I know exactly what you mean. They got a lot more low down and meaner when Phil Collins brought his working class London grit and attitude to the proceedings.

Please tell me you're joking!
Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index