IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Re: Music of the Sad.
Aug 23, 2011, 11:27
keith a wrote:
Kid Calamity wrote:
Flaming Lips

Good call. Another band that I expected to like, but they can't write songs and the guy can't sing. And no amount of prancing about with a man in a gorilla outfit can disguise that for me.

Beautiful.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Aug 23, 2011, 11:32
Aug 23, 2011, 11:31
mcshafty wrote:
Kid Calamity wrote:
And Mumford & Sons.

Yeah - my Mum likes them too - and she refers to them as "The Mumfords" - Yuk!

I hear that a lot. It's as if by inserting "The" they are identified as being the spear side of the distaff Unthanks. Well I suppose there's only ever going room for two folk acts in the public consciousness at any one time!

Can't stand the Unthanks myself. The first record was promising but since then everything about them rings hollow. Then again a band can't keep losing its most talented members and not hit a brick wall at some point.
Toni Torino
2299 posts

Aug 23, 2011, 11:32
FifePsy wrote:

13th Floor Elevators. Now I do like them but not with the evangelical zeal that everyone else seems to have. Also Tommy Hall's electric jug grates a bit after a while doesn't it?

The Monkees with feckin' Bill and Ben The Flowerpot Men on backing vocals.
FifePsy wrote:

Time for bed.

Flobodobadob.
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Edited Aug 23, 2011, 11:42
Aug 23, 2011, 11:41
This is another great thread. Cathartic and good humoured. It's good to get some sacred cows off the chest. I personally have no time for The Clash, but, and he hasn't been mentioned yet:

James Taylor.

I mean, why ? It's dreary twee singer songwriter middle of the road rubbish.

Yours,

A Van/Yes/Lips fan.
Toni Torino
2299 posts

Aug 23, 2011, 11:57
Kraftwerk. There, I've said it. I've tried to like them. I should like them. Autobahn is interminable to me, I find myself hoping they crash. The newer cover is a beautiful blue though, so that's something. The only thing of theirs I've really liked was that House remix done in about 1990.

ELO - tbh, I like most of the singles, I just couldn't listen to an album.

Sly And The Family Stone. Well, I've only got 'There's a Riot Going On' and I just can't ...... get into it. So I've not bothered with anything else. Same with 'Kick Out The Jams'.

Radiohead - Nope. After Pablo Honey, nope.

The Beatles. There's always been something about the Beatles that has put me off. I think some of it has to do with The Goon Shows-type humour they displayed in their early years and in the films. Something a bit music hall about them. Norwegian Wood is great though!

Hopefully, most of those go against the grain!
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Aug 23, 2011, 12:04
Aug 23, 2011, 12:03
The Sea Cat wrote:
he hasn't been mentioned yet:

James Taylor.

Yours,

Totally. He would have been on my list for sure but I limited my selection to artists that are annoying to me AND deemed cool in media / hipster (in the old fashioned sense) circles. So Oversung rather than Sad. Sad would be a very long list but artists only really annoy me when they are oversold on the shakiest of pretexts. For example Cheryl Cole is unbelievably annoying but I think there is a consensus, even among her fans, that she is not a great musical talent.
keith a
9573 posts

Aug 23, 2011, 12:11
Toni Torino wrote:
Autobahn is interminable to me, I find myself hoping they crash.

Hahahaha!!

Quote of the thread along with Dave C's "Plus feedback and surf don't mix - its a horrible sound".

Even though I disagree with both of you, they both tickled me!
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Aug 23, 2011, 12:12
IanB wrote:
The Sea Cat wrote:
he hasn't been mentioned yet:

James Taylor.

Yours,

Totally. He would have been on my list for sure but I limited my selection to artists that are annoying to me AND deemed cool in media / hipster (in the old fashioned sense) circles. So Oversung rather than Sad. Sad would be a very long list but artists only really annoy me when they are oversold on the shakiest of pretexts. For example Cheryl Cole is unbelievably annoying but I think there is a consensus, even among her fans, that she is not a great musical talent.

An interesting angle opens up here. James Taylor, dirge meister, arguably has 'talent' in the technical sense, whereas the countless Cheryl Coles have absoutely none. Generic bland histrionic warbling to these awful plastic ballads that are shat out incessantly. Tin Pan Alley at least produced some classic songs of a type, often sung/performed by people with discernable talent. The vast majority of modern mainstream pop is JUST product. Lazy shite.
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Edited Aug 23, 2011, 12:38
Aug 23, 2011, 12:15
Toni Torino wrote:
Could it be *ack *hite?

Congratulations! You've won the executive shaving kit and briefcase combo (in faux-pigskin, natch). Anthonyqkiernan gets an HH chequebook and pen.
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Aug 23, 2011, 12:26
Ah. Yeah, I concur. Carry on...
Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index