Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Edited Aug 24, 2011, 16:06
Re: Music of the Sad.
Aug 24, 2011, 16:05
IanB wrote:
Dog 3000 wrote:
anthonyqkiernan wrote:
Similarly Marvin Gaye's What's Going On? Although, at least that does have the title track

Agreed -- that is a very overrated album. Second rate Curtis Mayfield.

There are a few Marvin albums like that. Lets Get It On and Trouble Man in particular. Lots of filler. Here, My Dear is gem of a record by comparison. Loads of fantastic songs if not many hit singles (one?). Ironic that it was a total flop. I guess the idea of Mr Loverman being a romantic failure didn't sit well with the Motown machine.

It's been speculated that he deliberately made an uncommercial album that he knew wouldn't sell because all the royalties were going to his ex-wife Anna Gordy as part of the divorce settlement anyway - hence the title, the cover, and most of the lyrics - but I don't know how true that is. I agree it's better than "What's Going On" though.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Aug 24, 2011, 17:00
Aug 24, 2011, 16:57
Popel Vooje wrote:
IanB wrote:
Dog 3000 wrote:
anthonyqkiernan wrote:
Similarly Marvin Gaye's What's Going On? Although, at least that does have the title track

Agreed -- that is a very overrated album. Second rate Curtis Mayfield.

There are a few Marvin albums like that. Lets Get It On and Trouble Man in particular. Lots of filler. Here, My Dear is gem of a record by comparison. Loads of fantastic songs if not many hit singles (one?). Ironic that it was a total flop. I guess the idea of Mr Loverman being a romantic failure didn't sit well with the Motown machine.

It's been speculated that he deliberately made an uncommercial album that he knew wouldn't sell because all the royalties were going to his ex-wife Anna Gordy as part of the divorce settlement anyway - hence the title, the cover, and most of the lyrics - but I don't know how true that is. I agree it's better than "What's Going On" though.

Yes, I think he actually confirmed as much around the time he was living in Belgium (Belgium!). I think it's his best concept album though that it is not saying much! If Curtis had Marvin's looks and charisma (not to mention the laconic seductive power) then I am sure Mayfield's concept albums would have been the ones that got the greater share of the glory. Not to mention a couple Donny Hathaway's solo efforts.
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Aug 24, 2011, 19:01
"Here My Dear" is probably my favorite Gaye album! Because it is weird and fucked up. "Music of the sad/mad/pissed" indeed.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Aug 24, 2011, 19:17
New Order and Primal Scream

Now, I like a lot of what both bands have done - but there is a ton of plop in their repetoires too and there was a time when they seemed to be deemed uncontestably brilliant. Er...
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Edited Aug 24, 2011, 19:46
Aug 24, 2011, 19:46
I enjoy many of their albums, but have always thought they are better in concert (much like Grateful Dead's reputation.)

For the last 15 years or so, the "arty underground" records Sonic Youth have put out have been more interesting than their "major label rock" albums. I've often wished they could merge those two streams back together (more like what they did in the 1980's.)
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Edited Aug 26, 2011, 11:28
Aug 26, 2011, 11:23
BBC 6 plays some highly suspect stuff. I know there's the fantastic Freakzone and a few other gems, but during the day...

I very rarely have it on, but this morning I was doing something up a stepladder in the kitchen, and 6 is the only signal I can get, especially in bad weather. On comes this tedious irritating racket from someone called Regina Spector. It was horrible, like sub Philip Glass piano plonking with Alanis Morrisette screeching and honking away over the top. Christ....and then some fey duo, sub Nick Drake sighing and simpering with the obligatory cello in the background. Horrible. It made me want to go pillaging and slaughtering. Get some fecking testosterone. This new wave of whingeing and sighing balladeers make my temples throb.

Luckily, The Small Faces came on before I threw myself out of the window in front of a passing tractor.

If I ever hear Arcade Fucking Fire again........

Love & Peace
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2557 posts

Aug 26, 2011, 12:27
The Sea Cat wrote:
BBC 6 plays some highly suspect stuff. I know there's the fantastic Freakzone and a few other gems, but during the day...

I very rarely have it on, but this morning I was doing something up a stepladder in the kitchen, and 6 is the only signal I can get, especially in bad weather. On comes this tedious irritating racket from someone called Regina Spector. It was horrible, like sub Philip Glass piano plonking with Alanis Morrisette screeching and honking away over the top. Christ....and then some fey duo, sub Nick Drake sighing and simpering with the obligatory cello in the background. Horrible. It made me want to go pillaging and slaughtering. Get some fecking testosterone. This new wave of whingeing and sighing balladeers make my temples throb.

Luckily, The Small Faces came on before I threw myself out of the window in front of a passing tractor.

Love & Peace

I going to see Arcade Fire at Edinburgh Castle and it will be excellent. Freakzone are fantastic.
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Aug 26, 2011, 12:36
drewbhoy wrote:
The Sea Cat wrote:

Love & Peace

I going to see Arcade Fire at Edinburgh Castle and it will be excellent. Freakzone are fantastic.

Is there a band called Freakzone ? I meant Stuart Maconie's programme. Anyway, irrespective of my dislike of Arcade Fire, have a great time Drew. As Daminxa said, 'one man's meat' etc...

Now as for drippy fey new folk Nick Drake wannabes.......
keith a
9573 posts

Aug 26, 2011, 13:38
Have a great night. Not seen them myself, but my eldest saw them round the time of their 1st LP and he said they were excellent live.
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2557 posts

Aug 26, 2011, 14:40
Yup, I did mean Mr Maconie.
Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index