Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Edited Aug 22, 2011, 20:19
Re: Music of the Sad.
Aug 22, 2011, 20:14
I LIKE a lot of the stuff mentioned on this thread so far!

But I do not particularly "get" the popularity of:

Smiths/Morrissey (fucking YAWN!! A badge of hipsterism, like reading Proust and smoking Galloise.)

Eric Clapton (100% ripoff artist and a nasty person too)

Rolling Stones (only any good when taking acid and imitating the Beatles)

Genesis (early stuff OK but not as good as other prog; little patience for anything from "Lamb" onwards)

Little Feat (the kind of band I should like but don't particulary)

OMD and all sub-Kraftwerk UK synth bands (sound like The Smiths with gadgetry; except Soft Cell who were pleasantly sleazy.)

Radiohead ("OK Computer" was OK grunge-era British Classic Rock redux; the rest is derivative of kraut & other stuff. Meh. I'd rather listen to all the original records whose influences they wear on their sleeves. But might be a good entry point for younger heads -- gotta start somewhere.)

Beck (liked the first few albums, but he has been recycling himself for years. It's not postmodern, it's boring careerism.)

Nirvana (Cobain was kind of a dope; see "music of the pissed." Their albums are not bad, but I don't think they're anything great either. Dislike the production on "Nevermind", actually think their earliest recordings were their best. If I want grunge nostalgia, I'd much rather hear The Breeders.)
Lubin
Lubin
509 posts

Aug 22, 2011, 20:43
All those you mentioned as well as

E.L.P.
E.L.O.
Steely Dan. { what was that all about.
Souxsie and the Banshees. Punk your Mum would like.
Any of the new "safe bands" Fleet Foxes, Mumford and Sons, Foo Fighters, Red Hot Chilly Peppers etc. The sort of band your Mum would mention to try and appear trendy.
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Aug 22, 2011, 20:56
I love Steely Dan (and so does my mom!)

:-P
Robot Emperor
Robot Emperor
762 posts

Aug 22, 2011, 21:31
Ones that possibly reflect poorly on me, best to be honest though. Probably like a few tracks by them all, but overall leave me cold or cannot see the point.

The Doors.
Todd Rundgren.
Pink Fairies.
Speed, Glue and Shinki.
Syd's Pink Floyd.
Genesis.
Yes.
Grateful Dead.
Coil.
Jimi Hendrix.
Gene Clark.
XTC.
Deep Purple.
Love.
Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac.
Frank Zappa.

Its quite liberating actually isn't it? That I could keep going all night is the worst thing. Really like loads of stuff though.
head-first
head-first
214 posts

Aug 22, 2011, 22:16
Which Sonic Youth album do you like, Ian?
FifePsy
FifePsy
540 posts

Aug 23, 2011, 00:02
Well it would be even sadder if we all liked exactly the same stuff.

Good job i'm starting this late as otherwise I could be here all night.

Start with The Beatles and the Stones. Have never felt the need to own any of their records and don't.

Grateful Dead. Utterly uncomprehensible to me other than Oswald's plunderphonic cut up of Dark Star.

'Southern Rock' - Allman Brothers, Skynyrd and all that bunch.

13th Floor Elevators. Now I do like them but not with the evangelical zeal that everyone else seems to have. Also Tommy Hall's electric jug grates a bit after a while doesn't it?

Robert Plant's solo career - especially that album with Alison Krause.

AC/DC - Have seen them live and enjoyed them but why would you want to play them in the house?

Joe Bonamassa - A friend dragged me to a gig. Was digging a tunnel after about the third number.

Grizzly Bear - nope.

The Eagles - nuff said.

Time for bed.
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Edited Aug 23, 2011, 00:55
Aug 23, 2011, 00:45
Van Morrison - eternally boring and grumpy music.

Tom Waits - love his earlier records on asylym (small change, heart of saturday night etc) but think he went shit around Franks wild years - dreadful album. Never listened to his records since.

Jesus & Mary Chain - weedy noise music causing chaos only in certain university venues in London. Plus feedback and surf don't mix - its a horrible sound.

LCD Soundsystem - dull, tuneless, soul less and lacking in originality. Crap live too.

Spacemen 3 - dreadfully boring head music and dull live band too.

Any late 80s british jazz music which contained musical buffoonery and overly clever and pseudo world fusion stylings - stand up Loose Tubes, Django Bates etc.

...they're my opinion only - don't get offended!

8)
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Aug 23, 2011, 11:34
Aug 23, 2011, 07:42
I like "The Destroyed Room" a lot. Seb turned me on to that one.

I liked "Goo" when it came out and a couple of tracks on "Daydream Nation" after seeing them at Brixton in the late 80s but as music goes it wasn't meant for me and I could not understand the hoopla. Still don't.
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Aug 23, 2011, 09:37
Popel Vooje wrote:
Everyone here already knows what I think of all things J*** W****-related so I'm not even going to down that road again

Yes, he was very much of his time, but they don't make 'movie stars' like that anymore.

(Seriously I have no idea who you mean)
Kid Calamity
9045 posts

Aug 23, 2011, 09:45
Flaming Lips

Pet Shop Boys

Yes

Genesis

Vampire Weekend

XX
Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic