45 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 14 August 2011 CE
Aug 16, 2011, 09:58
Stone Harbour Emerges
Interesting 2 piece from early 70s with garagey edge to their basement sound. Finally bought this earlier this year after years of hearing about it. Nice & dark.

Screaming Trees Dust
Trying to work out exactly when they were recapturing but vague echoes of say '69 to '72ish should cover things nicely. Psych influenced hard rock for the most part. I think you just categorise it as great as you do with most of their stuff.

Nick Cave Let Love In
The recent remaster sounds really good. I just rediscovered this lp earlier this summer after neglecting it too long. Got it as a d/load then bought it. Love the hammond organ bits & the rinky dink grooves. A lot of this is very danceable, not sure how widespread that notion is cos I don't frequent the kind of place this might make it into the dj booth in. Could be everybody already knows that. I kind of get stuck with Nick as god of gloom which is something he himself has been trying to overturn. Don't like his overtly comical lyricism elsewhere overmuch.

Trojan Rocksteady set disc 1
I had a couple of these tracks on Club Ska '67 which must have been released before the music was redesignated. Groovy stuff anyway. I think I might come back & rewrite a few of these descriptions just not on form this morning.
Anyway, Trojan is back releasing 2 cd compis that are at least of some worth. Shame they deleted all the great ones they've put out over the last 10 years.

Fall Palo alto '81
I like 80s Fall but really love this stuff from around Hex Enduction Hour era. This was a great gig with a lot of great material played. Don't think much happened in terms of audience antagonisation. Would that make the set better or worse?

Annette Peacock I'm The One
Put this on a couple of times this week. Avant jazz meets funk meets singer songwriter from '72. Apparently big influence on Bowie at the time & had Mainman involvement.
Recently reissued in limited edition of 500. I'd try to grab it if I was you.

Etoile de Dakar Once Upon A Time In Senegal disc 1
Sublime early 70s African material introducing Youssou N'Dour who later formed Super Etoile De Dakar to continue their legacy once the original band split.

plenty of other stuff which will come to me later

watched
Torchwood series 4 pretty good, looks like the US are a week ahead of us since I got to watch episode 6 as a d/load. Wondering if the show will become further Americanised which might be detrimental.

Weeds season 7 1-5
Reminded me I never watched the final episodes of season 6. But enjoyed this anyway. 3 years later Nancy gets released from jail and starts again.

Rango enjoyable computer animated Western yarn with debts to the Dollar Films, Chinatown and various others. Mad Max 2 for one.

Cowboys & Aliens
not sure if this was based on comics or computer games. Latter might explain its shortcomings a bit better. Daniel Craig as cowboy badman hero. Harrison Ford playing a supposedly evil cattle baron, not seen him on the wrong side before as far as I remember.

Super 8
Dark Speilberg homage. Feel has more Jaws about it than the kid films one might think of from the plot. Quite good I thought.

Meek's Cutoff
Dark existential(?) film about a wagon train being led astray by a gobshite guide. Again pretty good, worth catching though it might bore some.

Captain America.
Better than some reviews had it. Certainly enjoyed it more than Ghost Rider. Enjoyable Hokum?

Think that's about it. MIght edit this a bit later.

Stevo
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index