45 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
bubblehead2
bubblehead2
2167 posts

Edited Aug 16, 2011, 05:35
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 14 August 2011 CE
Aug 16, 2011, 05:04
What with one thing or another have been a bit stressed lately and as a result haven't listened to much music. Seems i need an empty head, which until now i've had no trouble achieving, to enjoy stuff fully.

Anyway, did mange to squeeze these in over the last two weeks...

CARAVAN - In the Land of Grey & Pink - with the exception of a Matching Mole LP the Canterbury Scene is one that's completely passed me by, on this evidence though, i need to hear more. For the most part this is top stuff, interminable organ solos excepted ( although i've never been a fan of that early 70's prog organ sound so no surprise there )

MAN - Rhinos Winos and Lunatics 2CD - Studio album's pretty good ( hadn't heard it for 30+ years )but as i've always found with Man the live stuff's way better. Great sleeve notes from Deke Leonard too, he's got a real downer on Brian Ferry, hehe. Oh, and can never complete a post about Man without mentioning the human metronome, Terry Williams, what a drummer he is.

MOON DUO - Mazes - Very Shjips like, but for me personally, more enjoyable( the odd Shjips toon excepted )

...piss poor effort really.

EDIT...

Just remembered, I'm partial to a bit of instrumental flash, so had a bit of trip down fusions memory lane...

JEFF BECK - Wired - Hadn't heard this for years, still sounds cool too, having a few of the Mahavishnu crew on board kinda helps. Or maybe the rose tinted spex.

MAHAVISHNU ORCHESTRA - Visions Of The Emerald Beyond - Has its moments but the choir ain't one of them. The lyrics they're given to sing just get me running for the eject button too. Was gobsmacked how familiar it all was considering i must have last heard this when i was 15 or 16 though. Much prefer Mahavishnu Mk 1.

TOMMY BOLIN - Teaser - Much written about Tommy on here of late so i thought i'd check this out ( only familiar with him on Billy Cobham's Spectrum where he's out of this world ), hmm, first impressions a bit underwhelming, yeah, there's some good playing but the toons leave me cold for the most part, kinda bland really. Instrumentals impressed more so will go back and give it another couple of plays. No rose tinted spex available for me here.

All the best everyone.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index