Unsung Forum »
Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 14 August 2011 CE

45 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
flashbackcaruso
1056 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 14 August 2011 CE
Aug 14, 2011, 22:55
Belle & Sebastian - Fold Your Hands Child, You Walk Like A Peasant (Still can't believe that this album was reportedly sheer torture to produce - it has a real lightness of touch that I always find very winning).

The Bees - Free The Bees (Their second album and the only one I have. It's so consistently great it makes me feel it's all I need. It's worth checking out the video for the marvellous 'Horsemen' on YouTube, which very cleverly places the band into Murray Lerner's 'Message To Love').

Various - Gather In The Mushrooms (Excellent folk compilation which introduced me to several classic bands, including Forest - by way of their best track, 'Graveyard' - and Comus).

The Coral - Nightfreak and the Sons of Becker
The Coral - The Invisible Invasion (In retrospect, these two albums might just show The Coral at their best. Love the first couple, but they do now sound painfully naive in places. Nightfreak was the one knocked off in a week just for the hell of it, and is hugely enjoyable in a devil-may-care sort of way, while the follow up sees the band maturing without getting dull, which seems to be what has sadly happened a bit on the last 2 LPs).

Yes - Tales of Topographic Oceans (Each time I play this I'm more surprised at its bad reputation. Okay, the titles reek of pretension, but the music is consistently melodic and inventive).

Sagittarius - Present Tense
The Millennium - Begin (Curt Boettcher's two finest half-hours. Experimental sunshine pop at its best).

Lilys - Better Can't Make Your Life Better
Lilys - The 3-Way (Kurt Heasley's two ultra-cerebral power-pop classics. Wonder what he's up to now).

The Beach Boys - Wild Honey (Possibly unique take on blue-eyed soul, deliberately undercooked and with very little of those trademark harmonies, making all sorts of odd little details hit you with curious force. Some of Brian's best bass-lines can be found here, and it's probably the only album to be almost exclusively made up of Wilson/Love compositions).

Mr Fox - Mr Fox
Mr Fox - The Gypsy (Dark trad. folk which keeps throwing in real surprises, such as the almost space rock classic 'Mendle'. What a great and unsung duo Bob & Carole Pegg are).

Eleanor Friedberger - Last Summer (still enjoying this - an antidote to her brother Matt's more indulgent subscription series).

Rumer - Seasons Of My Soul (Picked this up brand new and very cheap from a charity shop, as she has a genuinely lovely voice, somewhere between Bobbie Gentry and Karen Carpenter, although I'm more a fan of the former than the latter. All impeccably crafted, with the assistance of Glen Ponder from Alan Partridge's chat show, but too much of an exercise in retro MOR to get particularly excited about).
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index