Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Aug 15, 2011, 09:39
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 14 August 2011 CE
Aug 15, 2011, 07:39
flashbackcaruso wrote:
Rumer - Seasons Of My Soul (Picked this up brand new and very cheap from a charity shop, as she has a genuinely lovely voice, somewhere between Bobbie Gentry and Karen Carpenter, although I'm more a fan of the former than the latter. All impeccably crafted, with the assistance of Glen Ponder from Alan Partridge's chat show, but too much of an exercise in retro MOR to get particularly excited about).

Watched a bit of her Hay set on SkyArts and was quite impressed. Nice sensitive non-noodly double bass and piano backing, Joni-esque lyrics and the Karen Carpenter thing of course which I havea bit of a soft spot for. Other than the coma inducing use of soma acoustic guitars (does no one actually listen to how Drake, Martyn, Chapman, Harper or even John Tropea actually played the bloody instrument) it was that rare thing these days - a superior demonstration of the singer songwriter craft. Anyway I've made a point of checking out the record and hopefully it's more Jimmy Webb than Tanita Tikaram.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index