IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Aug 15, 2011, 08:55
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 14 August 2011 CE
Aug 15, 2011, 07:48
Chaosmonger wrote:
flashbackcaruso wrote:
Yes - Tales of Topographic Oceans (Each time I play this I'm more surprised at its bad reputation. Okay, the titles reek of pretension, but the music is consistently melodic and inventive).

Never understood its rep either. I mean it's obviously not as good as its surrounding albums but it's still GOOD. Also, despite its weighty title/concept, it's probably one of their most laidback albums from that period.

Large chunks of the First and last sides are as good as anything they did in the classic era but boy does it sag in places. There is a really good 40 minute album struggling to escape from the flabby centre. Every part of the suite has some wonderful melodic moments and some glorious playing (As well as some tired sounding noodling) but for a huge concept work like this it is oddly under-played.

Compare the way "Revealing" climaxes with any of their other great works it is almost traditional with one instrument highlighted at a time, the bass back in the mix except when leading and the drums providing the meat n potatoes. Gone is that thing of everyone being at the front of the mix at the same time. It's like losing Bruford has de-jazzed them. Even the harmonies aren't quite as vibrant. It's still top tier stuff but there is some old magic missing.

With Bruford gone their response to the onset of fame and wealth was to dispense with five sided democracy and let those who were most voiciferous have their way with the music - a "you can have your little self indulgent section if I can have all of mine" dynamic. Howe admits as much in interview in that management and record company were pushing him and Anderson to write together because of "Roundabout", "Heart of the Sunrise" etc. Which is funny given that Chris Squire was about to make what is far and away the best Yes solo record. I guess he had a lot of ideas stored up that he couldn't get into the band.

In terms of the different feels and textures I am not sure any of it is as good as Gates, Awaken or And You & I but at least they were pushing the envelope. Shame Wakeman couldn't bring a bit more Sabbath to the sessions though!
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index