69 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
machineryelf
3681 posts

Re: If You Like The Blues
May 02, 2011, 19:21
IanB wrote:
machineryelf wrote:
Not seen that before, reinforces the opinion that the reason we Brits never took to Grand Funk Railroad was because we had the Quo
If you're bored check out Road House Blues Madrid 75, it's a classic of an Englishman abroad

Nice thanks. Not the most loveable of front men on this occasion. Can't help thinking he looks a lot like Frank Lampard.

75-76 they were one of the few really great and regularly accessible big live act out there. Probably tied with Rory, SAHB and The Who. Which at the time and at that age counted for a lot. It's no coincidence that the harder a band worked the more loved they were.

For a fully fledged arena band The Who managed a decent UK tour, three Hammersmith Christmas shows plus The Valley, Celtic Park and the Vetch in the space of a couple of years. Not ZZ Top but not bad for old farts.

Don't think The 'Oo had much choice in the matter 3 of them needed to be on the road to keep them in the birds,brandy & coke manner they had become accustomed to, poor old Keith in particular was lost without the road.
75-76 was before my time but AC-DC,Priest,Whitesnake & Rory G [still on the road] substituted, Wishbone Ash,Gillan, Gillan,Rush all played regular 1500-3000 seater shows, Motorhead were at their peak so I'm not complaining, I suspect to anyone who started going to gigs between 68 & 88 that 14-18 year old period was the best time ever, all new & exciting.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index