The Sea Cat wrote:
IanB wrote:
The Sea Cat wrote:
IanB wrote:
machineryelf wrote:
Piledriver, now they rocked
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiqpD0Eh0Vk
lets see Hugh cover this

That's fabulous but it was this that successfully de-Bjorked me ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLnKd0o2HXM

Good to see Alan Lancaster singing his young heart out.

Sorry to interrupt, but I just read your previous post re. Bjork.
I cannot bare her irritating histrionics - I actually heard her being played in a dentist's waiting room. You couldn't tell whose warbled shrieks were whose.

I am glad I am not alone as I get a lot of stick for holding that opinion.

Unfortunately (and I am trying hard not to be be patronising here) if a listener doesn't know their great improvisational singers and their Nicos and a little about 20th century classical composition you are in danger of thinking she is a stone cold genius and major originator. On the grounds of "this is so difficult it must be too clever for me". Just cos Evelyn Glennie has worked with her it doesn't make her a legitimate artist. She is the Bhundu Boys of Contemporary Music. Though I quite liked a lot of the Sugarcubes singles especially "Hit" and the first solo album.

Next Week: Sigur Ros - the world's most pretentious Gong tribute band ...

I completely agree Ian, and that's a very accurate summation of Bjork. I liked the early Sugarcubes, but for me her solo work is pretentious without any of the necessary redeeming qualities. It's 'all fur coat and no knickers', as my dear old Gran would have said. As for Sigur Ros....helium hobbits on a mission to bore the cosmos..

The first two solo Bjork albums are fabulous. After that it's becoming a case of diminishing returns for me, but I respect her hugely. It would have been so easy to cash in on the likes of It's Oh so Quiet but like it or hate it, she's certainly put her art before commerce.

I think Sigur Ros' () is one the finest albums of the century so far. A work from the heart and one of incredible beauty. Again, diminishing returns since, but still some fine moments.

That said, Quo were a great live act in 1974-75!
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index