If You Like The Blues
May 01, 2011, 15:22
Do NOT play this link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TV3VpPd8Q90&feature=related
Kid Calamity
9047 posts

Re: If You Like The Blues
May 01, 2011, 15:39
There's something very clean and sanitised about Hugh's version of the blues, IMO. I'm inclined to think he'd happily cross the road rather than have to walk near some of the more travelled blues players that have paved his way. I could have gotten him pegged completely wrong, of course...
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

May 01, 2011, 15:56
nods more towards Tin Pan Alley with some blues( ala Jelly Roll Morton, Fats Waller), we're safe
Deepinder Cheema
Deepinder Cheema
1972 posts

May 01, 2011, 16:08
I'm not really interested in the link; however he seems to have a gift as I noticed when he played piano in Jeeves and Wooster many years ago. Minnie the Moocher was particularly good. It would have been better if he had made his own disc and left out the record companies and loathsome TV appearances.
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7720 posts

May 01, 2011, 16:21
You should try the piano songs he did on A Bit Of Fry & Laurie - very skillfully executed and very funny.
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Edited May 01, 2011, 16:32
May 01, 2011, 16:30
Quite frankly, you're all Blues damned. Don't wander around any Mississippi Graveyards.. you might end up with a gob iron thrust up your collective arses, end of Carrie-style, and deservedly so.

:-)
machineryelf
3681 posts

May 01, 2011, 16:44
successful middle class english actor gets offered the chance to make a bluers CD so he does, so what, the guy can play, doesn't appear to be trying to impersonate blind fred jefferson, it's bland and I'll not be paying the slightest attention to it, it's like accusing the cast of Glee of being hyperactive kids.
If you hadn't posted this I would be bissfully unaware of it, now you have I shall carry on without giving it a further thought other than when it turns up on radio2 instead of thinking 'ooh that sounds like hugh laurie' I'll think 'ooh it's hugh laurie' and switch to Radio 5
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Edited May 01, 2011, 16:53
May 01, 2011, 16:52
Oh Good Lord...Blues Fans are in a distinct minority around these parts, and this faahcking shite is like having Chris De Burgh going through a Krautrock phase. Abominable shite of the highest order, but hey, that's just me....unless you like Bluezak.

Horrible.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

May 01, 2011, 16:56
zphage wrote:
nods more towards Tin Pan Alley with some blues (ala Jelly Roll Morton, Fats Waller)

Totally. Though I hesitate to add more in case we get back into one of those "Ella's Shit" threads ...
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Edited May 01, 2011, 17:16
May 01, 2011, 17:12
once you get to secondary sources
who's to say what is more authentic?

we all have our likes and dislikes
Pages: 7 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index