Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited May 02, 2011, 10:50
Re: If You Like The Blues
May 01, 2011, 18:37
The Sea Cat wrote:
I'm sorry, but to me it's utterly dreadful. It's not blues at all, it's mainstream derivative uninspired drivel and any attempt to rescue it via references to the 'better end' of tin pan alley etc. is justification for it's own sake. This isn't blues. It's a self indulgent soulless bollocks money spinner via Hugh Laurie's cack handed but lucrative vanity project. Utter irredeemable shite.

Well it's entertainment. I watched some awful Bjork Live In Rekjavik thing on Sky Arts yesterday and it was, at least to my ears, some of the most pretentious bilge I have ever heard (and that is coming from someone who worked at the ICA in the 80s) but I know folks like her and hey ... it might just be me. Maybe she really is the most innovative female artist of her generation and not the Emperor's New (Atonal) Clothes. And so maybe Hugh Laurie is the new Hoagy Carmichael. Or perhaps he is just having a laugh rather than spending it on surgery. Is it any more ridiculous and self-serving than the singer of a rock band in a Red Brigade t shirt? And he was brilliant in Jeeves n Wooster. I can forgive a man or woman almost anything if they can make me laugh like a drain. Bjork just made me want to never leave the 19th century, in a musical sense, ever again .... and then I went and played "Piledriver" and all was well.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index