Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 3rd October 2010 CE

50 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
keith a
9573 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 3rd October 2010 CE
Oct 03, 2010, 23:42
RUBBER SOUL – The Beatles
The Beatles have a place waaay down in my heart. I've gone years without playing their albums because you can hear them on the radio, etc. But then on occasions like George dying or visiting The Beatles Museum with Mr Tones a few years ago, I started to remember what they meant to me. And then I fell in love with We Can Work It Out all over again a few weeks ago. Anyway, I dug out Rubber soul – always a fave of theirs for me (apart from Michelle!). And it still sounds great, with you Won’t See Me and Think For Yourself stealing the honours.

BLACK SHEEP AT THE BBC – Black Sheep
I would be prepared to bet five English pennies that this isn’t anyone’s favourite Cope album. Well it’s not mine anyway...

LODGER – David Bowie
It’s never been rated in the same way as Low and Heroes, has it? And yet, I think it’s a smashing record. Altogether now... “we’re gonna sail to the hinterland”!!

HELLBENT ON COMPROMISE – Edwyn Collins
I always thought this was something of a disappointment after his solo debut, Hope & Despair. Consequently I haven’t played it in years. And..well, it’s better than I remember even though it does sound a little Edwyn-lite at times. That said it has its moments for sure – the opening Means To An End for one, and best of all – Everything And More which is comfortably the best track here for me.

GRINDERMAN / GRINDERMAN 2 – Grinderman
It was great to go back to Vol 1 after seeing them live. And 2 will definitely be figuring pretty high up on my end of year lists.

SOME THING CAME UP - Mekon
Something of a mixed bag as you would probably expect when the album features guests as diverse as Rita Brown, Alan Vega, Bobbie Gillespie, Roxanne Shante, Marc Almond and Africa Bambaataa, but there’s some really good stuff here.

COLOSSAL YOUTH – Young Marble Giants
Hearing this again of late it struck me that it bears certain similarities with Dalek I’s Compass/Kum’pas from the same year. I was always a big fan of Wurlitzer Jukebox but my fave track these days is definitely N.I.T.A. which reminds me of the early Teardrops.

ALSO...

THE HAPPIEST MAN ALIVE – Applecraft

POPERA – Associates

TENDER BUTTONS – Broadcast

THE GOOD SON – Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds

HENRY’S DREAM – Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds

RECENT SONGS – Leonard Cohen

GANG OF LOSERS – The Dears

SUN DOWN – Nik Freitas

THINGS WILL CHANGE EP – Gallon Drunk

CALLING OUT YOUR NAME AGAIN EP - Darren Hayman

TEUFELSWERK – Hell

OUTERNATIONAL – Billy MacKenzie

EXODUS – Bob Marley & the Wailers

NEU ’75 - Neu

HEAVEN SCENT – Perfect Disaster

PEEL SESSIONS EP – The Slits

SPECULATION – To Rococo Rot

ZINC ALLOY & THE HIDDEN RIDERS OF TOMORROW – Marc Bolan & T.Rex

BAD SEEDS (ROOTS & COLLABORATIONS) – V/A (Mojo cd)

TROMATIC REFLEXXIONS – Von Sudenfed
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index