50 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Edited Oct 03, 2010, 19:20
Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 3rd October 2010 CE
Oct 03, 2010, 19:09
Mostly digging around for interesting B-sides to play on the radio show . . . so not much time for "albums."

But for the first time in more than a decade, I rocked out to WHO'S NEXT! Probably my favorite album in the world . . . when I was 15. (Aren't they pretty much every teen boy's favorite rock group, at least for a while?) Also the USA-only MAGIC BUS LP (which I actually think is one of their most "interesting" albums), and lots of rare tracks from LP's like "Who's Missing" and "Two's Missing." Also watched "The Kids Are Alright" doc and stared at lots of youtube footage. On first exposure to the band years ago, of course Pete was my fave -- then later, Moon the Amazing. But these days it's that dark, dark weirdo Entwistle that fascinates me the most. Such a strange songwriter! And personality: dig the bit in the movie where he's out skeet shooting at his gold records with a tommy gun he keeps in his bass case. Compare that to the over-serious fantasy sequences in "The Song Remains The Same"! In general, The Who had enough "personality" for a dozen groups. We shan't see the likes of them again.

Also Vangelis "La Fete Sauvage" which I picked up for a buck recently (along with a bunch more interesting things I haven't listened to yet.) First track is icky moog-disco, but the rest is nice and "tribal."

Curtis Mayfield "Curtis/Live" - actually I just keep listening to side A over and over! "Mighty Mighty" and "We're A Winner". Whew!!!

Also received some new releases of interest:

Mugstar "Lime" - UK group I'd never heard of before. "Post rock jamming" derived from NEU! and Can, filtered through Sonic Youth and Pink Floyd. RIYL Oneida, Titan, etc. Purty good!

Dragon Tears "Tune In Turn On Fuck Off!!!" - new project by the Swedish guy from Baby Woodrose. More krauty-psychy and epic that usual, dig it. (Might be a good pick for Cope fans too -- album cover and title look like the kind of thing he might have done in years past.)

Gonjasufi - "The Caliph's Tea Party" - my vote for most interesting debut artist of 2010. This is the remix album based on "A Sufi & A Killer" from earlier in the year.

5-Track "Comets" EP - listening right now. Matt Valentine eat yr heart out!

In the car: probably the last spin of the season for Grateful Dead 13 Aug 1971 Hollywood Bowl audience tape (my Dead pick of this summer.) One of their more ROCKIN performances -- particularly good Pigpen jams here.

Finally: my arm feels like it's going to fall off today, after having played guitar on and off for *7 hours* at a "gallery gig" yesterday. I must be getting old, I sure do know a lot of "slow songs" these days! (Tons of Neil, Bob & The Band, and other hippie ballads like "Willin'" and Floyd's "Fearless".) Imagine if we'd been playing fast songs, ouch!
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index