Another racist morissey rant

Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Re: Another racist morissey rant
Sep 07, 2010, 09:26
When I said he's got "form", I meant that he has had trouble over this sort of thing before and therefor should know to tread a bit more carefully*.

Difficult one to discuss this isn't it?

*Although as I think Ian pointed out, there is an element of teasing the media in there, so I don't think there is anything genuinly racist in his comments.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Sep 07, 2010, 12:19
I sighed when I saw this too.

However, it does raise my hopes for the Morrissey/Ted Nugent collaboration I've been praying for!
paradox
paradox
1576 posts

Sep 07, 2010, 12:45
Wang Dang Disco?.............Can't wait!....80)
sanshee
sanshee
1080 posts

Edited Sep 07, 2010, 13:28
Sep 07, 2010, 13:28
I struggle to see where you're coming from with this one, Pooley.

This is the sort of thing you'd forgive and defend over on U-Know, accusing all ready to slate whoever came out with whatever 'racially tinged' remark as 'humourless' and 'overly right-on', or something.

I think the Carol Thatcher gollywog remark rings a bell there.

Personally, I thought she was being an upper-class dimwitted oaf other than a full on hater.

I'm not having a go, we have agreed on a few things, but I don't get your point here!

And as for 'Morrissey apologists', the history of this section tells us there are probably more Headheaders who can't stand him.

x
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Sep 07, 2010, 15:25
Mozzer lives in the US, there hasn't been anything about this.

This is a uniquely British and the power of its newspapers, at the very least people should be pleased that people still read and papers still sell.
pooley
pooley
501 posts

Sep 07, 2010, 16:29
sanshee wrote:
I struggle to see where you're coming from with this one, Pooley.

This is the sort of thing you'd forgive and defend over on U-Know, accusing all ready to slate whoever came out with whatever 'racially tinged' remark as 'humourless' and 'overly right-on', or something.

I think the Carol Thatcher gollywog remark rings a bell there.

Personally, I thought she was being an upper-class dimwitted oaf other than a full on hater.

I'm not having a go, we have agreed on a few things, but I don't get your point here!

And as for 'Morrissey apologists', the history of this section tells us there are probably more Headheaders who can't stand him.

I guess the casual nature of the racism, and many peoples acceptance of it just riled me. My annoyance at it even got me called a fucking idiot on here three times, for either misreading or responding incorrectly to some arse holes response on here.

To me, this was worse than the carol thatch thing, because. Her comment, bad as it was, was based purely on appearance. Oh, that man looks like a golly wog. Bad, stupid, but (to me) not offensive. It seemed to reflect on her upbringing, and also seemed to have little or no malice.

What mozza said was that a race of people are a sub species. The implication was that this is why they treat animals badly, because they are some how lesser than us. Said before that to take a nation to task for it's cruelty record is a good thing, to say that nation does these things because they are a sub species is quite another

Idiots like elf (who after calling me a fucking idiot three times, then accused me of being a troll!) seem to think that mozza is somehow above reproach. He ain't, and he should be judged on what he says - without deploying the irony defence.

And- if he is just faking racism for column inches, fuck. How shitty and stupid is that?
x

joudicca
joudicca
360 posts

Sep 07, 2010, 19:28
what xfactor punch up?
thekremlin
132 posts

Edited Sep 07, 2010, 21:21
Sep 07, 2010, 21:19
Squid Tempest wrote:
When I said he's got "form", I meant that he has had trouble over this sort of thing before and therefor should know to tread a bit more carefully*.

Difficult one to discuss this isn't it?

*Although as I think Ian pointed out, there is an element of teasing the media in there, so I don't think there is anything genuinly racist in his comments.

ah, okay. makes more sense to me now and i do agree with the teasing idea. i wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't highly amused by the absolute horror with which his comment has been received and i'd bet you my vinyl copy of Viva Hate that he really couldn't give a toss what people think.

i really do think people are almost hovering over him, just waiting for a slightly dubious comment to take out of context. a bit of a silly teasing boy sometimes... yep! but a racist... nope!
sanshee
sanshee
1080 posts

Sep 08, 2010, 15:09
As has been said, we do sometimes condemn the actions of a 'country' by saying 'the Americans/British/whatever.

We all do it.

Lazy, but hardly loaded with hate.

Maybe he was doing that.

Consider it in that context, then consider that maybe he wasn't saying *The Chinese* do this because they are a subspecies, but *The Chinese* are a subspecies *because of these actions*.

Anyways, do you like Morrissey, generally?

Or can't ye stand him?

Sure you aren't on the opposite side of the same coin thingie re the apologists?

I just don't think he's hate-filled a racist at all.

Perhaps he enjoys the luxury of saying things a bit too much, but that's hardly the same thing.

x
pooley
pooley
501 posts

Sep 08, 2010, 16:01
I like some of his stuff. Got most of the smiths and even a few solo albums. Later stuff leaves me a bit cold, but what the hell

This ain't a music thing. Not for me
Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index