Topic View: Flat | Threaded
sanshee
sanshee
1080 posts

Re: Another racist morissey rant
Sep 06, 2010, 16:53
pooley wrote:

I'm sure if he went out paki bashing you'd say it was in an ironic fashion

See the word you just used there, the 'P' word? Does that define your opinion, do you think it's fine to use that word or does it have to have 'context' to make it acceptable?

Should the way in which you used it be separated from the way in which some other use it?

It's a very emotive word.

What if Nick Griffin had said that?

Defining someone on the basis of 'a comment' is just wrong, and that's nowt to do with apologizing for Morrissey.

x
pooley
pooley
501 posts

Sep 06, 2010, 17:01
I think context is all.

I don't think we should be afraid of words, just how they are used.

It is an awful word, which is why I used it. I was hoping to point out that there is no soft racism, only racism

Genuinely sorry if it offended you.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Sep 06, 2010, 17:18
Sep 06, 2010, 17:14
sanshee wrote:
Ah I just listen to R4 in the morning really, and PM at 5, never (well very rarely)use the net as a source of info.

BTW the cricket thing is getting effing boring, verging on a vendetta.

Even filmed one guy who was duped into a meeting, and flatly refused any bribe. Still they had to give it a sinsiter angle.

Hope the NOTW journos are all jailed for procurement, the bastids.

:-/

x

Well yes the NOTW phone tapping scandal has a large dose of biter-bit about it.
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Edited Sep 06, 2010, 17:22
Sep 06, 2010, 17:21
The irony of all this is, it's got a lot of people talking. That's what Morrisey does. He intentionally flirts with and deliberately courts publicity, and usually of a controversial nature when 'needs must' as he sees it. He's extremely shrude, media savvy and very sharp. He was being interviewed! Morrisey and interview = professionalism. No chat asides there. That's all. He knew exactly what he was saying, just as he knows that most people wont really take him as a full blown card carrying racist. However, that kind of up yer own casual ego disregard my comments as serious because 'I'm Wildean' marks him out as rather tedious and utterly forgetable in my book, but that's just my friendly penny's worth.
sanshee
sanshee
1080 posts

Sep 06, 2010, 17:22
It didn't offend me!

I know what you meant, but for every one of me that can say that, there will be more who've had it thrown at them for all the worst reasons, and nothing can soften the impact.

Still doesn't make you racist, does it?

I don't think so.

I just reckon Morrissey sighed this one out, searching for the worst thing to say about the thing that hits him most.

He does get *very* emotional about these things, far more than I do, tbh.

x
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Sep 06, 2010, 17:49
Sep 06, 2010, 17:23
Squid Tempest wrote:
pooley wrote:
Fair enough, if this was a one off. As we know, it ain't.

Fair point I guess. My reaction to it initially was that it was a generalisation that I could have made in anger at the treatment of animals, but you're right, Mozzer does have "form"...

He has form as an incurable attention seeker. Even if it is only sub-conscious this smacks to me of someone who knows how to hog the spotlight and has a handful of reliable triggers that will have music press and broadsheets all hot and bothered.

As we have seen from this forum over the weekend people have more or less made their minds up about him so this predictable huff in a tea cup is not going to be costing him fans (unlike the epic Magma forum thread referenced above) and I don't suppose China was on his 2011 tour schedule either. It does make any media-literate rock fan of a certain age fully aware that he is back on the public stage. What he's selling?

It's like something out of Sunset Boulevard.
sanshee
sanshee
1080 posts

Sep 06, 2010, 17:25
Was talking about the cricket with NOTW, but yes the phone tapping...being discussed right now.

How close is the sh*t to the fan for the tories re this Coulson character?

Sez he knew nothing.

So he got all that dough to edit a 'news' paper and didn't know what his staff were up to.

So that's meant to be fine ok.

x
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Sep 06, 2010, 17:28
Sep 06, 2010, 17:27
sanshee wrote:
Was talking about the cricket with NOTW, but yes the phone tapping...being discussed right now.

How close is the sh*t to the fan for the tories re this Coulson character?

Sez he knew nothing.

So he got all that dough to edit a 'news' paper and didn't know what his staff were up to.

So that's meant to be fine ok.

x

He is a big friend of Piers Morgan and whatever happens you can almost guarantee a soft landing. I'd bet big money that he wont see the inside of a witness box on this one.
thekremlin
132 posts

Edited Sep 06, 2010, 23:07
Sep 06, 2010, 23:04
ah morrissey. I love the man. i think his problem can be that sometimes he opens his mouth and doesn't quite get that people aren't sat there in the room with him, an ironic arch of the eyebrow is easily ignored in print.

i also love how its conveniently forgotten the amount of times he's come out and categorically slated racists and racism publicly over the years. i've been into moz for years, i am certainly not in any way racist and if i thought moz was then he could fuck right off, he ain't so he don't.

it really pisses me off the way people trot out the 'he's got form' shite... yeah, form based on nme/tabloid journalism. "he did 'national front disco'... he's a racist..." erm, no! leave the guy alone and pick on the people who really deserve your ire... paul weller and the red hot chili peppers would be a good place to start... just cos they're shite!
pooley
pooley
501 posts

Sep 07, 2010, 07:30
A well reasoned argument. Sigh.

Because you like him, he is allowed to spout this sort of shit and hide under the "I was being ironic" banner!

Bullshit

And yeah, let's pick on artists whose music we don't like, instead of those that use their position to make morally dubious statements. Much easier
Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index