59 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 28 August 2010 CE
Aug 31, 2010, 11:56
Dog 3000 wrote:
Liz Phair was a big pothead back in those days. "Guyville" sort of sounds like she recorded it herself on a 4-track, though I think it was a real band in a real studio. I've always felt there were a handful of excellent tracks, but it's not one of my favorites of that era.

Unlike the first two Breeders albums, which are timeless classics. How dare you lump Kim Deal in with those other posers!! ;-)

Definitely a handful of excellent tracks but a low strike rate for an 18 track album!

I just don't get Kim Deal or any of the US 4AD contingent really other than a few Pixies cuts. I don't get on much better with the UK shoegazing scene.

It's that thing I describe of taking the rock out of rock. I just don't see the point of that in the mid to late 80s other than as an anti-corporate, anti- hair metal thing.

I guess this was also all happening on the cusp of the widespread use of fluoxetine to treat anxiety and "depression" and this was coinciding with more widesperad piss testing in the work place and the whole "Just Say No" thing. I can see why there might have been a cultural shift from forms of self-medication to Prozac that would radically change the music people made. Just a guess on my part.

For once maybe I do blame the drugs.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index