Sin Agog
2253 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 28 August 2010 CE
Aug 29, 2010, 04:06
vince wrote:

God Bless WFMU!

Word!

This week's listening's gone a little something like this:

Faun Fables - The Family Album/Mother Twilight (Excellent operatic freak folk. A psychedelic folk group is only as good as their [usually female] singer, and Dawn McCarthy is brilliant)

J.A. Caesar - Kokkyo Junreika (Noh theatre? More like YEAH! theatre)

'O'rang - Herd of Instinct (Can of the '90s? Great find this)

Momus - Timelord (I think this is the album that had a line that went something like "Will you love me when I've only got one eye?" Very creepy, as this was well before his pirate days after he really did lose an eye)

The Seeds - Future (What happens when you give a two-chord garage band too much money, too much time and a string section? Fallin', that's what)

Luna - Penthouse (Very Velvet Undergroundy dream pop from Galaxie 500 mainman/early indie'er Dean Wareham. Love the swirly guitar on this. "Heading to Tacoma, driving too fast/Nixon's in a coma, and I hope it's gonna last")

Peter Laughner - Take the Guitar Player for a Ride (Serious talent this guy. He was the co-founder of Rocket From the Tombs/Television/Pere Ubu, and an occasional journalist. This is him doing his best Richard Thompson impression, and it's an impressive impression for sure. Lester Bangs' gushing obit in Psychotic Reactions wasn't just hype)

Nina Simone - Pastel Blues/Sings the Blues (One of the music industry's best talents. Whenever I go up to sing, I think about how much emotion she could carry in her voice with just a minimal backing. She could also get seriously sexy-funky if she wanted... Pastel's the one with Sinnerman)

Disco Inferno - The Five EPs (One of the '90s best hidden talents. They initially drew on groups like The Durutti Colum and Dif Juz, but ended up sounding like no one else. The Five Eps has been a pretty popular bootleg for the last few years, but it's just been officially released. Buy it now!)

The Outsiders - CQ (Groot!)

Albert Marcœur - Albert Marcœur /Album à Colorier (Love this guy. I'd call him the French Frank Zappa, but that's sort of doing him a disservice. More proof to the crowd who think prog was dry and humourless that it produced some of the funnest music of its time)

Silvio Rodríguez - Días y flores (Gorgeous baroque folk from Cuba. Melody!)

Christian Death - Only Theatre of Pain (Helped invent a genre called "Death Rock," but it's basically extra-dramatic post-punk with some killer guitar from ex-Adolescents guitarist, Rikk Agnew)

Various Artists - Shaolin Soul Vol 1 (Awesome comp of rare soul tracks RZA's sampled over the years)

Brainbombs - Singles Collection (Lived up to its name for sure. Obnoxiously noisy and noisily obnoxious garage rock that occasionally locked into a real kraut groove. I've gotta get more from this group)

Marble Sheep - Old From New Heads (Some of the finest fuzzy guitar-heavy Japanese psychedelia ever made. They later ended up sounding like Grateful Dead copyists, but here they're more like early Acid Mothers or a way more cosmic Amon Duul. Their later more boring stuff is still in print, but I've never seen this for sale, so if you're not worried about eardrum damage give it a listen)
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index