Flower Travellin' Band : Make Up
zerkalo
zerkalo
488 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 28 August 2010 CE
Aug 28, 2010, 21:02
1001realapes wrote:

Ultimate Spinach : Behold & See

Listened to this one myself this week inspired by reading Shansee's thread on album reissues that have been unnecessarily messed about with. Used to have the shuffled/truncated Bigbeat release but thankfully replaced it with the rather lovely Akarma box mini-lp version
vince
vince
1628 posts

Aug 28, 2010, 22:11
Michael Rother & Friends - Live: Primavera / Lincoln Centre 2010
Port Said - Indian Ocean
Arcade Fire - The Suburbs (Unusually, as good as the reviews have said)
The Stooges - Funhouse (Deluxe Reissue)
Beak! - Wulfstan EP
Yo La Tengo - Prisoners Of Love
Lhasa - The Living Road
Cluster - Grosses Wasser
Orbital - Don't Stop Me / The Gun Is Good
Robert Wyatt - Rock Bottom
DM Stith - Heavy Ghost/Appendices
Chandeen - Teenage Poetry
Juana Molina - Un Dia
Tame Impala - Innerspeaker
Charlotte Gainsbourg - IRM
Wim Mertens/Soft Verdict - Struggle For Pleasure
Seeland - Tomorrow Today
1001realapes
1001realapes
2388 posts

Aug 28, 2010, 22:17
vince wrote:
Michael Rother & Friends - Live: Primavera / Lincoln Centre 2010
Port Said - Indian Ocean
Arcade Fire - The Suburbs (Unusually, as good as the reviews have said)
The Stooges - Funhouse (Deluxe Reissue)
Beak! - Wulfstan EP
Yo La Tengo - Prisoners Of Love
Lhasa - The Living Road
Cluster - Grosses Wasser
Orbital - Don't Stop Me / The Gun Is Good
Robert Wyatt - Rock Bottom
DM Stith - Heavy Ghost/Appendices
Chandeen - Teenage Poetry
Juana Molina - Un Dia
Charlotte Gainsbourg - IRM
Wim Mertens/Soft Verdict - Struggle For Pleasure
Seeland - Tomorrow Today

Wow , a trip to see Port Said ,
i've not heard their stuff but
have several things by Keeler
that are way cool .
vince
vince
1628 posts

Aug 28, 2010, 22:59
About halfway down the page. Your wish is my command:

http://blog.wfmu.org/freeform/2010/08/to-be-led.html

God Bless WFMU!
mingtp
mingtp
2270 posts

Aug 29, 2010, 00:37
Albums

Ass - Salt Marsh
VA - Ghosts from the Basement: Lost Songs and Folkadelia from the Vaults of Village Thing 1970-74 (very good. I like.)
VA - Wolf People Green Man Mix
Pink Mountaintops - Pink Mountaintops
Pink Mountaintops - Axis of Evol
VA - Psychedelica 4
Tobacco - Maniac Meat
Robyn - Robyn (finally got round to buying this)
The Heads - Relaxing With... (2CD remaster)
VAST - Visual Audio Sensory Theatre
Blitzen Trapper - Furr
The Sword - Warp Riders
Dan Sartain - Lives (excellent)
Lady Daisey - In My Pocket
Lloyd Miller & The Heliocentrics - Lloyd Miller & The Heliocentrics
Wayne Robbins & The Hellsayers - All You Need to Sleep
Goatsnake - Flower of Disease
Ramesses - Take the Curse
Ladi 6 - Time is not Much
Connan Mockasin - Please Turn Me into the Snat
Danko Jones - Below the Belt

Tracks

Katy B - Katy on a Mission
Damian Marley - It Was Written (Chasing Shadows Remix)
Dead Prez & WTF!? - It's Bigger than Hip-Hop
Skunk Anansie - My Ugly Boy
Itchy Robot - Miss You
Magnetic Man - I Need Air
Outer Minds - Bloodshot Eyes EP
Bobby Womack - California Dreamin'
Dark Dark Dark - Bright Bright Bright
Status Quo - Pictures of Matchstick Men
Ougenweide - Uisk Flo Aftar Themo Uuatare
Chase & Status - Let you Go (Nero remix)
Mark Ronson - Bang Bang Bang
Black Mountain - Tyrants

Films

Shifty
A Prophet
Primer
Fish Tank
The Runaways
Operation Endgame
In Bruges

Quote of the Week

"If there's one thing that unites us, as people, it is that no matter what's your race, creed or sexual preference, there is a word that people use to describe you that is very nasty. It's what we all have in common. That and masturbation." - Jon Stewart
1001realapes
1001realapes
2388 posts

Aug 29, 2010, 00:56
vince wrote:
About halfway down the page. Your wish is my command:

http://blog.wfmu.org/freeform/2010/08/to-be-led.html

God Bless WFMU!

Thanks !
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Aug 29, 2010, 04:06
vince wrote:

God Bless WFMU!

Word!

This week's listening's gone a little something like this:

Faun Fables - The Family Album/Mother Twilight (Excellent operatic freak folk. A psychedelic folk group is only as good as their [usually female] singer, and Dawn McCarthy is brilliant)

J.A. Caesar - Kokkyo Junreika (Noh theatre? More like YEAH! theatre)

'O'rang - Herd of Instinct (Can of the '90s? Great find this)

Momus - Timelord (I think this is the album that had a line that went something like "Will you love me when I've only got one eye?" Very creepy, as this was well before his pirate days after he really did lose an eye)

The Seeds - Future (What happens when you give a two-chord garage band too much money, too much time and a string section? Fallin', that's what)

Luna - Penthouse (Very Velvet Undergroundy dream pop from Galaxie 500 mainman/early indie'er Dean Wareham. Love the swirly guitar on this. "Heading to Tacoma, driving too fast/Nixon's in a coma, and I hope it's gonna last")

Peter Laughner - Take the Guitar Player for a Ride (Serious talent this guy. He was the co-founder of Rocket From the Tombs/Television/Pere Ubu, and an occasional journalist. This is him doing his best Richard Thompson impression, and it's an impressive impression for sure. Lester Bangs' gushing obit in Psychotic Reactions wasn't just hype)

Nina Simone - Pastel Blues/Sings the Blues (One of the music industry's best talents. Whenever I go up to sing, I think about how much emotion she could carry in her voice with just a minimal backing. She could also get seriously sexy-funky if she wanted... Pastel's the one with Sinnerman)

Disco Inferno - The Five EPs (One of the '90s best hidden talents. They initially drew on groups like The Durutti Colum and Dif Juz, but ended up sounding like no one else. The Five Eps has been a pretty popular bootleg for the last few years, but it's just been officially released. Buy it now!)

The Outsiders - CQ (Groot!)

Albert Marcœur - Albert Marcœur /Album à Colorier (Love this guy. I'd call him the French Frank Zappa, but that's sort of doing him a disservice. More proof to the crowd who think prog was dry and humourless that it produced some of the funnest music of its time)

Silvio Rodríguez - Días y flores (Gorgeous baroque folk from Cuba. Melody!)

Christian Death - Only Theatre of Pain (Helped invent a genre called "Death Rock," but it's basically extra-dramatic post-punk with some killer guitar from ex-Adolescents guitarist, Rikk Agnew)

Various Artists - Shaolin Soul Vol 1 (Awesome comp of rare soul tracks RZA's sampled over the years)

Brainbombs - Singles Collection (Lived up to its name for sure. Obnoxiously noisy and noisily obnoxious garage rock that occasionally locked into a real kraut groove. I've gotta get more from this group)

Marble Sheep - Old From New Heads (Some of the finest fuzzy guitar-heavy Japanese psychedelia ever made. They later ended up sounding like Grateful Dead copyists, but here they're more like early Acid Mothers or a way more cosmic Amon Duul. Their later more boring stuff is still in print, but I've never seen this for sale, so if you're not worried about eardrum damage give it a listen)
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Aug 31, 2010, 11:58
Aug 29, 2010, 09:49
Ani Difranco - "Napoleon" (live track - 2007)
There are not too many songs about the record business that don't come off as whiny or bitter. This is one of the few. It is also one of the great three minute score-settlers. Not sure who the target was (theorists say Vega, artist says not) but I bet it stung like fuck. And it rocks.

Ximena Sariñana - "Mediocre"
Very mainstream moderne pop/rock with trip hop influences. Kind of a Mexican Emiliana Torrini. Nothing ground breaking but nicely done and there is something about this voice (as heard on the Omar Rodriguez Trio record) that makes me swoon.

Rolling Stones - "Plundered My Soul" (track)
The Stones sounding more like The Faces than themselves. That Bm chord is pure Ron Wood. Would not be out of place on "Never A Dull Moment" "Every Picture Tells a Story" or (more accurately) "Now Look".

Ron Wood "Now Look"
A great sloppy rock n soul record. Some bad songs but lots of gorgeous playing a la early Little Feat and 70s Stones / Faces (of course). And I love the way he pushes the tempos, especially on the lead-off track. Something the Stones forgot how to do after "GHS". Close your eyes and you can see him facing the drummer with a fag in his mouth and furiously pumping his leg ahead of the beat. If you love RW's playing and ever had a soft spot for the likes of Frankie Miller or Jess Roden then this is for you.

Mary Chapin Carpenter "Party Doll" (track)
Jaggers best song as a solo artist, reclaimed from the rather nasty Country pastiche on "Prmitive Cool" and turned into a tender adieu. A Sam Shepherd type song. Would have been great if it had turned up in either "Bug" or "Thelma and Louise".

Apollo 440 - "Electro Glide In Blue" (track)
The "No Quarter" keyboard riff geta a brilliant revamp. Sounds a bit like the Alabama 3 with John Paul Jones guesting. Albums like this tend to age really badly but this track and Billy Mac's gorgeous "Pain In Any Language" ensure that it rises above your general, three-hits-and-a-load-of-filler 90s dance album fodder.

Liz Phair - "Exile In Guyville"
I still hate the lo-fi sloppiness* of this record.

Guyville is not sloppy in a Mott / Faces kind of way, it's under-produced to the point of the artist being embarassingly exposed but without the diamond hard focus of "Dry" and "Rid Of Me". On the other side of the coin it is lyrically (and in part vocally) brilliant. Had these songs been given the "I Am Shelby Lynne" treatment then you could be talking one of the great records of the 90s. As it is, at its best, it sounds like a bunch of demos for Hole's "Live Through This".

Matador sold half a million of "Guyville" in the US alone. So there was an audience. Then again her first crossover lp ten years later sold as many and that's in an era when half a million is actually an awful lot of records.

I really don't have a problem with Phair's whole Avril's-Big-Sister career change. I wouldn't listen to the records but bravo for the honesty - the need to put food on your table for your family tends to concetrate the mind. Also her contribution to the "Exile on Main Street" dvd is in its own way more subversive than the album that made her name.

All that said it is worth giving this 90s touchstone a couple of plays for the genius of the words alone and the odd moments when it colasces into something really cogent and timeless ("Divorce Song" for one, "Mezmerizing" for another).

*I don't much like the Muses / Belly / Breeder thing either and their followers, immitators and inferiors of the 90s and 00s were worse still. Throwing everything that is great about classic pop and rock n roll out of the window does not make you a radical artist. The popularity of the flat (and flatly sung) joylessness of their records is a mystery to me. Maybe it was the (prescription?) drugs. Whatever it was the smallest insight into this world makes me want to walk the other way. Where the early Mekons and Delta5 (for example) were straining at the leash of their limited talents and produced brilliant records in the process, this kind of thing sounds like the product of a long list of deliberate must-not-dos. You can't do choruses, can't do dynamics, can't do tunefulness. You can do a little that is Country and Folk as long as it is not too winsome but you really can't do anything that sounds like the Blues. Belly's version of "Are You Experienced?" as good as proves my point. Why deliberately limp along wearing discography police leg irons when you know you can soar like that?

We're talking Flat Earth fundamentialist white suburban indie rock. First Commandment? Thou Wilt Not Rock Unironically. Which kind of misses the whole point of picking up an electric guitar in the first place.

Rolling Stones - "Loving Cup" (alt version - 2010 reissue of Exile)
This doesn't. Jagger at his most ludicrous, leering, lustful and priapic.
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2612 posts

Aug 29, 2010, 11:36
I haven't been able to face much music since the death of my mother on 17 August. But I'm starting to ease my way back out of the silence with the Amadeus Quartet's recordings of Mozart's String Quintets and their critically unsung Beethoven quartet box. Hopefully some harder sounds will follow.
Pages: 6 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index