59 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 28 August 2010 CE
Aug 29, 2010, 19:38
Old stuff:

Santana - Abraxas (head and shoulders above any other studio album they did, so great!)

Blue Oyster Cult - 1st Lp (they took the enigmatic symbology & cryptic song titles pioneered by Led Zep to their ultimate level. Though I strongly suspect all the mystery adds up to nothing -- nothing but killer metal riffs that is!)

Fleetwood Mac - Penguin (got "Mystery To Me" a while back and enjoyed it more than I expected, especially the Bob Welch tunes. But this one's pretty dull. Christine McVie is sooo "adult contemporary", bleah. The band did have a string of pretty interesting songwriting guitarists though: Green, Spencer, Welch & Buckingham.)

Chuck Mangione - Feel So Good (did you know the title track is nearly 10 minutes long on the album? His flugelhorn sounds very much like Miles Davis "in a pretty mode", but the band is so cokespoon smooth -- man does this suck! Got it for free, couldn't resist.)

New stuff:

Black Angels - Phosphene Dream (comes out officially in about a week; in terms of "growth" from previous records, I'd say this one's got a wider variety of 60's styles (one song even sounds like it's got an "electric jug") -- there is still nothing "original" in their sound, but the pallette is getting broader. And a bit "poppier" -- no epic drone-outs on this record, all shortish catchy songs.)

High Wolf - Ascension

Julian Lynch - Mare

Black Tempest - Proxima
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index