"I hate the blues."

Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Re: bloooz
Nov 06, 2009, 22:57
Yeah, exactly. The blues emerges right out of all of us. It takes on different forms depending on our culture or disposition but it's not exclusively an African thing or an American thing. Blues is sing-talk. Ever go walking by yourself and make up stuff as you go? It comes out as blues.
sakedelic
sakedelic
936 posts

Edited Nov 06, 2009, 23:15
Re:
Nov 06, 2009, 23:06
I'll admit, I agree, slagging JC here is not a good look. After a previous reprimand (from you) I managed to restrain myself for a few months. My intention is not to "wind up" anyone. I got wound up by an assinine comment and I let it get to me when I probably should have let it go.

If you can't see that the statement "I hate the blues" is provocative, I can't say anything to persuade you it is so.

I like this site, and I appreciate JC's enthusiasm for some great music but the dude seems to rub me the wrong way every now and again and, after a recent exposure to the Teardrops 'Reward' video, I wasn't feeling charitable towards his point of view as a rock critic.

I'll make this my last word on the subject of his music and my lack of respect for it. So you know where I stand now and I'll go back to keeping my posts relatively civil, trying to accentuate the positive.
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Re:
Nov 06, 2009, 23:12
Squid Tempest wrote:
Tsk. Nowt wrong with Howlin' Wolf. Agree (a bit) about Muddy Waters though.

Hey, Muddy is much beloved, and rightfully so.
Calighoulia
50 posts

Re:
Nov 07, 2009, 00:10
Funny, I was thinking about Ghost World, ol' Seymour, and Skip James "Devil Got My Woman" myself while reading this thread. Although, I too was a little taken back by Cope's "I hate the blues" comment, I had heard it before so it didn't take me back to far. I just played my Johnny Winter loud enough to be heard on the Marlbourough Downs.
dodge one
dodge one
1242 posts

Re:
Nov 07, 2009, 00:26
Johnny .....Right On !
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Edited Nov 07, 2009, 00:54
Nov 07, 2009, 00:33
Well, I'd agree with you in the sense that "the blues" refers to a vibe/feeling as well as a musical genre. And feelings are pretty much human-universal.

There is also a "specific blues music genre" which refers to the pentatonic scale and I-IV-V changes, and that does have specifically African/American roots. Stuff that sounds "bluesy" in Armenia or wherever may have "the blues (feeling)" but is based on a totally different system of scales & harmonies than "the blues (music genre)".

Not quite the same thing, but easy to get confused what people are talking about since they are both called "the blues"!

(Two other similarities between "blues (genre music)" and "other music from around the world with a blues feeling that is not technically blues" would be 1. Improvisation, and 2. Call-and-response patterns. I'm sure you can find plenty of examples of those outside of the African/American tradition, they seem to be sort of universal. Interesting topics in and of themselves!)
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Re:
Nov 07, 2009, 03:50
Good discussion

There has always been a nice tension here between fans of Cope's music fans of Cope's writing.

blues is the UR

prefer Human Being and Pleasant Hope
booga
booga
129 posts

Edited Nov 07, 2009, 04:23
Re:
Nov 07, 2009, 04:22
Calighoulia wrote:
I just played my Johnny Winter loud enough to be heard on the Marlbourough Downs.

Which, if I get Cope's angle as much as I *think* I do, would have put a kick in his step for the rest of the day. There's something in Johnny Winters character and approach, that seperates him from the whole white boy blues sincerity thing, even if Muddy Waters was his hero/mentor. Bet'cha Cope even digs Peter Green. Maybe Cope's statement needs some quailifaction, but I think I know what he's getting at.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Nov 07, 2009, 10:10
Re:
Nov 07, 2009, 10:07
The Sea Cat wrote:
Yep. Once upon a fairly recent time you couldn't mention the utter brilliance of The Beatles in 'cool' company. It was all sniffy. How things change. To write off any genre completely is just plain daft. Classical ? Ravels Piano Concerto In G Major Second Movement, followed by Carl Orff's Neptune The Mystic for starters. Mozart's Requiem is one of the most beautiful things ever created.

... and wasn't it The Beatles that got Matlock fired from the Pistols in favour of that noted wit and musical genius Sid Vicious?

And twenty four or twenty five years ago no-one who had a hang-up about being hip liked metal. It was only the Beasties and Tone-Loc and Run DMC that reopened the road to Led Zep. Well before the grunge hairies got in on the act.

Then again I haven't got a lot of time for Mojo-Man's blind worship of Dylan, Lennon, Keef, Wilson etc etc either.

It's all a closed-circuit. Like the worst (and best) aspects being a football fan though at least that has narrative and outcomes and the whole win-lose thing. There is no win-lose in music. It's just a brilliant ride that can take you everywhere and anywhere.
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Nov 07, 2009, 10:08
Sing Talk. Love it. Right on. I hear my train a comin'....
Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index