Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Nov 06, 2009, 17:21
Re:
Nov 06, 2009, 17:19
Squid Tempest wrote:
I'd be interested to hear JC flesh out his reasons though.

you'll have a bit of await then. I wonder where that leaves him vis a viz The Doors, Stooges, MC5, Stones, Jimi, Sly, James Brown, Miles, Bootsy, Feelgoods, Aretha, Al Green, Gram Parsons, Page n Plant etc etc etc.
machineryelf
3681 posts

Edited Nov 06, 2009, 17:28
Re:
Nov 06, 2009, 17:19
maybe it just looks good on paper [ or screen ]

Personally I read it as he doesn't really get on with Cream et al, all that Blues based heavy rock type thing that was around at the same time, but he digs Blue Cheer

he's always had that thing that some metal is good , some is bad when most people [ well me anyway] can't see the difference.

Like a punk saying "I hate rock music" ........on a different point, you obviously missed the great Soth Coast punk rock wars of 78 when plenty of 16 year old punks proudly declared that rock was dead , long live punk etc
The best ones were the Jam fans who years later had to eat humble pie as Mr Weller started rehashing Traffic records.and the buffoon who stated that the Boomtown Rats were the greatest band EVER!!
stray
stray
2057 posts

Re:
Nov 06, 2009, 17:20
But its only the traditional blues thats any good (excluding howlin wolf and muddy waters, good grief, couldnt you find anymore terrible examples ;) ) Skip James, Willie Johnson, Lottie Kimbrough, Joe Callicot, theres lots of really good blues, Pre 1970.
stray
stray
2057 posts

Re:
Nov 06, 2009, 17:22
He hates all classical music too IIRC. Oh, and most electronica, though he does say terribly nice things about Alog in this months address. The man isn't consistent, you get the feeling he has the attention span of a goldfish musically... 'ooh, new shiny thing!' and either can't see the hypocrisy or he's taking the piss.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Re:
Nov 06, 2009, 17:24
Well, that sort of links to what I was tryna say. It does seem that the form gets blanket reverence because, you know, its the roots of rock yada yada and of course, its really OLD.

Music fans are expected, obliged to like it, but why should they above and beyond anything else really?
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Re:
Nov 06, 2009, 17:26
Think there is defintely an 'in the moment' thing going on, but that seems to have been part of the Cope thing since forever.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8763 posts

Re:
Nov 06, 2009, 17:38
Tsk. Nowt wrong with Howlin' Wolf. Agree (a bit) about Muddy Waters though.
Lawrence
9547 posts

Re:
Nov 06, 2009, 17:51
Well I kinda have problems with blues music, especially the way it's evolved into something stodgy and museum-piece like. If I have to listen to it I prefer the early acoustic stuff that appeared largely on 78s. But there's something limiting about a music form based stringently on three chords and twelve bars, really...
sakedelic
sakedelic
936 posts

Re:
Nov 06, 2009, 17:54
"there's something limiting about a music form based stringently on three chords and twelve bars"

If you think that's all the blues is, you are as clueless as JC.

You sound like one of my parents talking about rock music.
stray
stray
2057 posts

Edited Nov 06, 2009, 17:55
Re:
Nov 06, 2009, 17:54
I'm completely the same. I am Seymour from Ghost World IRL.

Edit : Oh and what sakedelic says though, blues is a little bit more than that really, yep.
Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index